No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Cranberry Vase  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Ayesha1938

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Murano Cranberry Vase
« on: December 11, 2019, 01:29:52 PM »
Vase is 11" H, wit. 3 lbs.  Controlled bubbles; ribbed design; hand blown; rough pontiff cut  (1)  Is it Murano?  (2)  If Murano - years/era introduced? - (3) designer?  no signature.

Thanks in advance for any info you may be able to share. Truly appreciate your checking out inquiry. :D

Carole

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Murano Cranberry Vase
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 06:57:39 PM »
Hello Carole.  From the pictures, I'm seeing random bubbles, rather than controlled bubbles.  Is the Pontil satin finished, rather than polished?  It's not easy to tell from pictures.  I have seen similar pieces on the alibaba site - Murano style Chinese manufacture - which might be a possibility for this piece.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ayesha1938

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 11:48:33 PM »
Hi, thanks for your reply. It has a "rough cut pontiff" and I realize my photos are a bit hazy. I know it's not Chinese and that it's an old piece. Thanks for the correction regarding "controlled" bubbles. Have added a more decipherable pic showing the pontiff.

Carole

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 01:24:31 AM »
Thanks for the extra picture.   hopefully the distinctive shape of this piece will help.  It is very pretty.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Ayesha1938

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 02:00:55 AM »
Thanks. I looked at all the photos I took and realize they don't do the vase any justice; especially can't see the bubbles and ribbing of the glass. :+(   So I'm going to delete and repost with more definitive pics. I was in a hurry when I photographed it.

Again, I appreciate all your input.

Kind regards,

Carole

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 06:00:00 PM »
Carole, you don't need to have it deleted (which only a moderator can do), just post your images in a reply to this topic.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ayesha1938

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 05:56:40 AM »
Have added new pics that shown more detail of blown bubbles and rib shape. Taken outdoors; sun light.

Carole

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 09:31:49 AM »
Lovely new pictures, Carole, but its still not possible to tell from them whether the pontil is satin finished or polished.  You have mentioned a couple of times that it is "rough cut", but I just wanted to clarify in terms that are more often used on this board.  It appears to be slightly concave, and not completely polished out, but cannot tell if it has been left satin finished.  It can really help if you are able to take a picture at a 45 degree angle against the light, so that the detail on the base is caught in the light like the example below, and other much better ones on this board.  Its not easy!

Many thanks
Cat
Cat 😺

Offline Ayesha1938

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »
Hi Cat,

I hope pics shows better that the bottom is satin finished (2 pics same area, one sharper than the other). In the end, it's blown bubbles, satin finish bottom, rough pontiff cut. I do believe it was made sometime ago and that it's Italian and perhaps Murano. The color is more cranberry than purple (light reflections  merged in sections, interfered with getting cranberry color). Heavy for a small vase - 3 lbs - 11" highest point - 5 1/2" widest point. Glass is thick.

You have been soooo helpful. And I learn, and learn, and learn. Thank you very much. If you any further conclusions, would love to hear.

Best regards,

Carole

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 02:37:56 PM »
The base on a Murano item wouldn't be finished like this. It woiuld be polished and shiny, even if there was a bit of the pontil mark remaining (the pontiff is the Pope BTW). The colour would also be atypical for Murano. The bubbles are deliberate but not blown. I suggest it's a modern studio piece

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand