No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with paperweights - 100s left to mum and I  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Elizabethanne

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • England
Help with paperweights - 100s left to mum and I
« on: December 28, 2019, 01:12:35 PM »
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could point me on the right direction.
My nan sadly passed away recently. She had a rather large collection of paperweights (probably around the 100 mark). My grandmother and her partner were involved in antique collection and so I know some of these must be worth something.
Me and mum just don’t know where to start. We had one antique dealer round but paperweights/glass objects were not of interest to him
We now only have a couple of weeks until we have to be out the house and just do not know what to do with all these paperweights!
Do you have any advice/recommendations? I’ve thought about listing them all on eBay but wouldn’t know what to describe them as. My dad thinks we should throw them in a job lot at an auction but I’m sure some of them are more valuable than others
Any advice appreciated - thank you!
Elizabeth

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Help with paperweights - 100s left to mum and I
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »
Hello Elizabeth.  Sorry to read you lost your Nan.  Given that you don't have much time, I would suggest you take them to a reputable auction house.  You could ring a few local ones and ask if they have a paperweight expert.  With any luck, they can take out the more interesting ones to list separately, and make up smaller lots of the remaining, perhaps more common, pieces.  If you wanted to let us know where in the country you are located, there may be a board member who could suggest an appropriate auction house. 

Good luck
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Elizabethanne

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 04:49:22 PM »
Hi Cat

Thank you so much for replying!

My nan lived here in Eastbourne, East Sussex. We live in Norfolk. So either of those locations. If you know anyone who may know these areas that would be great!

Thank you
Elizabeth

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 07:41:34 PM »
Had a quick look at auction results for paperweights at Eastbourne Auctions for the past three months.  I would have been disappointed by the sale prices, if they were my lots.  The only auction I have been to in Norfolk was in  Sherringham many years ago, and it was a family joke for a long time that I got "chips with everything" as all the items I bought turned out to have been "repaired"!  There do seem to be quite a few auction houses in Norfolk, if it would be viable to pack them all up and take them back with you.

If you do decide to go the auction route, I would choose an auction house that has online bidding as well so that your items get as much exposure as possible.

Do you or your mum have knowledge of glass, even if not specifically paperweights?
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 01:34:02 AM »
Hi Elizabeth,

Condolences on your family loss.

I have sent you an email rather than add details here and I hope you are able to find a suitable solution within your time limits.
KevinH

Offline user9318

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 09:57:19 AM »
If you do go the auction route as suggested in Norfolk and one with online biding, Durrants in Beccles does and also offers free valuations, but they do not have a paperweight expert as far as I know. My condolences on your loss.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand