No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina wt. with pontil depression or scar?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Mdina wt. with pontil depression or scar?
« on: January 06, 2020, 07:19:40 PM »
Not my area, but having seen a few over the years it surprised me to see the base of this example showing an almost radial/petal/star like snapped/moulded depression, whereas I thought those I'd seen were simply ground/polished flat across the whole base.
Not very exciting I know, but it was cheap, and the base interested me  -  might this be an early, middle period, or even late type example  -  or are they very common and I've just been walking around with my eyes closed. :)               Lots of base wear, so might have reasonable age - and not a bruise in sight.
About 2.5" in height  -  c. 65 mm.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina wt. with pontil depression or scar?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 07:42:13 PM »
It looks like a reasonably early example, but I wouldn't go reading anything into the weird marks in the base.
I had an obelisk I suspect somebody tired to dig a hole in the bottom of, in order to stick it on top of something. Very crudely gouged out bits in the bottom.
I don't know if your "gouging" was done at the factory or later on. It still displays fine.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 09:34:51 PM »
thanks for your expertise. :)       This depression has the looks of a moulded appearance, with some sort of radial impression, but I'll settle for 'a reasonably early example'.             It was only £2 but since I don't collect such things it will probably go back to the charity shop quite soon, though I think the colourway of these particular Maltese weights is always appealing.
I occasionally get worked up a tad about p.ws and think I should collect them, but the sand in the timer is starting to run lower and I mustn't start new areas of collecting.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 08:28:14 AM »
I meant to say  -  I've lost your details, but if you let me have a pm I'll send it up and you can either keep or give to a local charity shop.
Just a thought since you're into the Maltese material.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 11:53:30 AM »
But not paperweights, although I do somehow have a couple of examples like this.
Thanks!
I need to downsize myself. It takes longer to dispose of a collection than it does to aquire it, and I need to get that done before I pop my clogs. It wouldn't be fair to dump it all on Michael.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 02:57:00 PM »
sure. :)            hmmm, err, do you think you'll make tea time?? ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand