No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thoughts on this 19th Century wine glass?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
Thoughts on this 19th Century wine glass?
« on: January 10, 2020, 08:41:43 PM »
Hi
Bit of providence for me today. Popped into a junk shop and walked out with this goblet for absolutely nothing (owner was downsizing his stock and had no change so just gave it me!).  It's a bit fancier than the simple stuff I usually go for. 

It has a polished pontil, bladed knop and air stem, the cutting is sharp and it has a nice ring to it if not overly resonant. My thoughts are mid 19th century. Could it possibly even be as early as 1830s.

Also, where might it be from? Stourbridge?

Look forward to any thoughts about it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
Re: Thoughts on this 19th Century wine glass?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 08:43:12 PM »
Base pic

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 10:10:37 PM »
hi - are we being a tad wishful in our thinking ;D   …………….   the scale cutting, relief diamonds, polished pontil depression, air stem and bladed knop don't on their own tell us this originated c. 1850 - or even earlier.                   All of these features have been copied many times in the later C19 and C20 - Walsh I seem to recall used most of these on some of their drinking glasses  -  in particular scale cutting I believe.

Please tell us what in particular suggests to you this is 170 years or more in age?   -    is it a combination of some or all of the above features?
Other characteristics such as ...……….    wear, colour of glass, size of foot, seeds possibly, and a v.g. lead glass ring, are more likely help -  we've said recently that so many of the earlier features have been copied on later glasses, which makes for confusion, though it doesn't automatically rule out a big age for your glass, but we need to go through all the hoops before reaching a conclusion.
You don't mention wear  -  so waiting to hear more news on this point.

As to origin, you may be correct, but I think it's probably impossible to say for sure unless someone recognizes this particular pattern.    I think the best bit about this one is the cost free aspect. :)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »
I love the look of this particular glass is it of a good weight hopefully :) with the large scales
cuts not sure but my take is late 19th at the earliest...Looks a very nice Sunday dinner wine
glass and super functional a little too crystal white the metal color for me to be much earlier

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 10:41:45 PM »
Maybe a little wishful. There's wear to the base, there is a small inclusion in the bowl, the base is as wide as the bowl, there's a lack of symmetry in the stem. Plenty to make me think it's at least Victorian. 240 grams in weight. Good solid glass for nothing 

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 12:27:43 PM »
 ;D Where is that Antique shop?? :)

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 01:14:25 PM »
Bristol. He has a couple of small decorative coloured pieces of Victorian glass I think might appeal to a few people on here. I don't know enough about it myself though.

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 10:09:23 AM »
Bit of free time this morning so I thought I'd take a few better photos of this glass.  I've some more observations and thoughts to add: 
  • The inclusion I mentioned in an earlier post at the base of the bowl, on closer inspection with my glasses on is a rogue air bubble.
  • I've had a look at the cuts in the strawberry diamond pattern through my loupe, and can see the cutters marks that couldn't be polished out.
  • The central blade knop is very unsymmetrically off centre.

• I really love the scalloped cutting above the strawberry cut. Beautifully done,very attractive.

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
      • GB
    « Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 10:10:43 AM »
    More pics

Offline Laird

• Members
      • United Kingdom
    « Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »
    For me, this very handsome glass is mid to late Victorian, and I come to this conclusion because of the elaborateness of the design. It's a 'fancy' glass that has been designed with eye appeal in mind, and in consequence very attractive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand