No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian vase with green trails over mica - Cephalonia type finish  (Read 1476 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Victorian vase with green trails over mica - Cephalonia type finish
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »
Also similar decor in 'idea' to Stevens and Williams Fibrilose - see CH 20th Century British Glass page 24 rh side for clear glass decanter and stopper.  But... that has no mica in it.  And I do still wonder whether this might have been a Kralik 'version' of.  Did WMF use mica? Just musing out loud.
The shape and the no pontil mark but firepolished rim are a bit strange.

For anyone without the book this is from Fieldings and says it is  a Stevens and Williams Fibrilose decanter.  It's a very different green to that on John's vase.  I think the green in the book is also a different green.  More emerald on the decanters, more grass green on John's vase:

https://www.ukauctioneers.com/auction_catalogue.cfm?AN-EARLY-20TH-CENTURY-STEVENS-WILLIAMS-CRYSTAL-GLASS-CLARET-JUG-OF-COMPRESSED-OVOID-FORM-WITH-TAPERED-COLLAR-NECK-APPLIED-LOOP-HANDLE-SILVER-HALLMARKED&itemID=20E9CB0FD7D727FCD4EEFECEFF5E0CE8EF27A8CA&auction=28E8C906&action=6&rangepage=14&currentpage=1&showLots=50&sortBy=lotsort&lotView=list&imagesOnly=N

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 01:13:12 PM »
No don't have a copy of Manley here but just ordered a worn copy that was cheap. There are two colours of green on the vase long lime green trails and darker green spots.

Interesting your musing over Kralik, along with the lack of pontil mark. Often see Kralik vases lacking a pontil mark where you might expect one. I suspect they were held around the centre by some sort of device with jaws for the rims to be worked or trails applied, much like these orange and blue vases.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 01:26:54 PM »
Yes, sorry John but there isn't anything in Manley eek.
However, I like to have his book regardless that I wouldn't use it for id.  It has lots of items in it and also he has lovely musings ... and was putting together his thoughts in isolation pre internet etc.

Funny you added those two.  What caught my eye on flicking through various memory jogging pics last night were, I think, two of that shape or similar in the opalescent cream with green trails and I thought the green looked quite similar to the trails on yours. 

I agree about the device used to hold them - that's the only explanation I could come up with. 
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 09:50:43 AM »
I have been meaning to add to my books m, I have so few on Victorian glass it sounds like it will be a happy addition.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 11:45:04 AM »
Hi John,

Just for reference theres an almost identical vase to yours shown in the below link if you scroll down.

http://www.stylendesign.co.uk/guidepages/ehtom2.html

I don't think the example in the link above is definitively attributed,  although some the elements certainly remind me some of the Kralik shell/cornucopia pieces...

http://www.kralik-glass.com/kralikshellarray.html

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 06:30:46 PM »
Thank you Greg, had a vague thought I might have seen one somewhere before (they are not iridescent as claimed there) but much more useful is your observation re Kralik shells etc. You are right some do have that same texture, this one looks like it has the same kind of layer on the outside, maybe made with a slightly finer grain.

When I get a chance I will have a long trawl through Kralik photos, finding a shape match too would help make a reasonable attribution.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 06:47:53 PM »
The text (in Greg's first link) says the vase that is most like yours, John is;
"Kralik & Sohne, Wilhelm. (Not to be confused with Kralik & Co Glasshutte in Germany)"
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 09:10:06 AM »
I know but given it describes the vase as iridescent when it is not and the main body of text in relation to Kralik is somewhat confused I really don't give it that much value.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 12:37:21 PM »
 :) I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that there are two Kraliks and it's bringing up memories of confusion about those hole-handled crackle jugs, and was just mentioning that bit, in case a(n other) reader of the thread missed it.(clutching at straws here!)
You know far more about this area than I do. Sorry if I was teaching my grandma to suck eggs again.
 :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand