No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hello - Is this lead crystal?  (Read 845 times)

Offline nappy501

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • identifying glass
    • United Kingdom
Hello - Is this lead crystal?
« on: January 18, 2020, 04:48:09 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have joined as I need some help.  I am not a collector, but hope someone will help me to identify this glass.  I have searched on the internet and cannot find a difinitive answer on identifying lead crystal.

I was able to identify the brandy glasses as I found the boxes.  These are Royal Brierley Braemer 12 oz brandy glasses.  Is any of the other glass lead crystal?

I found it difficult to take clear photographs.  Please let me know and I will try and get better photographs.  I don't want to take it all to the charity shop if it is of significant value.

I have included a link as the photos are larger than a megabit. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmKNXjPf

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards

Nappy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Hello - Is this lead crystal?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »
Hi - welcome to the GMB.                  I would have thought that if these were lead crystal then it would say as much on the box  -  the absence of such wording probably implies these are not lead glass, though it seems a tad surprising since R.B. are well know for making high quality glass, usually.               If you flick the glass, is there a good 'ring'?

Rather than lead crystal, it's usually o.k. to say simply lead glass  -  it means that during the melting process a quantity of lead oxide is added to the batch - this makes the glass heavier, better suited to the cutting process, and helps to produce that long lead glass ring when the glass is flicked.        Such glass is mostly more expensive than non lead glass, and the added lead usually gives a better colour to the glass.
In the U.K., full lead glass/crystal, is supposed to contain c. 34% of lead  -  in other countries this percentage varies, and can in some cases be a lot lower.
The crystal bit is really just a description of the obvious  -  that the glass is clear.

Modern cut brandy balloons such as these, have little significant value  -  though of course it depends on your interpretation of 'significant'.    Have a look on ebay or other on line auction sites  -  you will probably get an idea as to approximate worth by looking at similar glasses.

Not entirely sure of your meaning of  "Is any of the other glass lead crystal?"  -  assume you are speaking only of these Braemar glasses?

You might try the Replacements.com internet site  -  look under Royal Brierley - you should find Braemar.

sorry if this not exactly what you wanted, but as mentioned, don't think these are going to pay you a fortune.                Let's see what others here think.

just looked, and 12 oz. Braemar brandy balloon is shown on the Replacements.com site, but any prices shown will be for new replacements, and will be way more than the second hand value.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nappy501

• Members
    • identifying glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 06:01:31 PM »
Thank you for your response.  I was only able to identify the four Braemar brandy glasses because I found the boxes.  I have been unable to identify the other glass.  I have tried flicking it with my finger, they all ring to me?

It was my mother's collection of glass.  So I think I will try listing the whole lot on Ebay as one lot and mention the Royal Brierley glasses and just call it lead glass.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 10:47:33 AM »
If it's cut glass, it stands a chance of being lead crystal. The decanters look like they might be blow-moulded and not cut. The birds are the most interesting and might be worth selling separately; they definitely aren't lead crystal. Large mixed lots rarely sell well. Check the bases for marks.

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 01:49:37 PM »
If it's cut glass, it stands a chance of being lead crystal. The decanters look like they might be blow-moulded and not cut. The birds are the most interesting and might be worth selling separately; they definitely aren't lead crystal. Large mixed lots rarely sell well. Check the bases for marks.

I have a very similar tree to the one with the blue tits. Uranium glass. Nice little thing and sits well with my wife's little glass menagerie. Definitely more interesting than the other items in my view

Offline nappy501

• Members
    • identifying glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:47:25 PM »
Unfortunately, I remember the delicate coloured glass figures from my childhood and the birds are now missing from the perch.  I haven't even dared to touch them as I am worried about breaking them.  I haven't made my mind up what to do with them yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand