No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed tumblers & goblets  (Read 9555 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: pressed tumblers & goblets
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
Yes please, Paul - I would like to see pix of RD 74749,registered on 21 July 1851, if you have them, as we certainly haven't had them previously.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 12:14:37 PM »
Fred  -  rather than add your request for this additional George Joseph Green Registration in with this thread, which is specifically for tumblers and goblets, I'll make a new post within next few minutes.
Would appear typo regarding the Reg. No., and believe should read 79749, which agrees with date of 21st July 1851 and same Registrant - any problems do shout.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 10:31:49 PM »
Thank you, Paul.

You are quite correct. I did have a typo in the RD number of the  George J. Green set of glassware registered on 21 July 1851.  It should indeed have been RD 79749 (and the appropriate Parcel number was 6).

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 04:51:53 PM »
a few more Registrations for similar products, which hope might be of interest ………………..

F. & C. Osler were exceptionally successful, and much can be found and read on the internet detailing their long and illustrious glass making career.
Of little interest to us directly - unless of course you collect large scale glass fountains or chandeliers - is the centrepiece fountain they made for the Great Exhibition in 1851 - alas now no more, presumably, since the entire building and contents burned to the ground after the structure was moved to Crystal Palace, south London (that name I assume deriving from the glass edifice) - unless this spectacular piece was removed and escaped the ravages of fire.
https://wilkinson-ltd.com/osler-faraday

Osler Registered many designs, though not sure if we have many - or any - of them on the Board.

Again, I've looked at Hajdamach's chapter on the Richardson Dynasty, thinking I might see some product of theirs that might show the pattern in item three, but nothing doing that I can see.

Joseph Lane isn't a name about which I have much knowledge, and as always my rather meagre notes always benefit from the input of others who seem to know vastly more about glass manufacturers.       My sincere thanks in advance.  :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 10:27:07 AM »
Re: Edward Moore & Co.'s RD 141642 tumbler, registered on 29 June 1861 - Parcel 4.

Jenny Thompson describes the design registration as being for a 'pattern' rather than a particular shape.

I don't have a photos of the RD 141642 tumbler but I do have some photos to show of a decanter from the pattern.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »
thanks Fred.              Looking again at the Moore pattern, which appears to be shown on a tumbler, it does look to be unusual insofar as the moulding does come fully up to the rim of the glass, which might make for a less comfortable situation when placing to the lips for supping.
Who knows, maybe they didn't in fact actually produce this pattern on tumbler - just other shapes -  but I'm speculating again, and unwise. :)

McConnell devotes a chapter to moulded decanters which appear to have been produced in most decades of the C19, and he includes the name of Moore, though he doesn't refer to this particular patter for 141642, or mention any specific Reg. Nos.             Sowerby get the lions share of attention, and he reproduces pages from various pattern books - Sowerby and P. V. - that is a good looking bottle. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2020, 02:53:24 PM »
Continuing with four more Registrations, this time all goblets/wines, and my assumption is that all except the Apsley Pellat wine, are pressed.  ………………

one................   Reg. 147792 dated 19.12.1861  -  David H. Jacobs …………..   I don't see any mention of this name in Ray Slack's book, or Hajdamach, so am assuming Jacobs was an agent, but I could be wrong and am sure others will have more to add on the subject.        Don't recall seeing any pieces carrying this Rd. No.  -  perhaps others have  - would be good if there was an example to show here.

two  ………………… Reg. 175421 dated 14.06.1864  -  James Derbyshire  ……………..    this date of Registration doesn't appear to tie up with any of the dates shown on Ray Slack's page 116, where he portrays four of Derbyshire's goblet designs.            Hopefully, either Fred or Neil will be able to add more regarding this Registration.       As we've commented in recent days, elsewhere, the picture of the Derbyshire goblets in Ray Slack's book are poor, so not the easiest of images to view when trying to determine which designs are being discussed, though assume the dates are accurate and sufficient to decide which Registration No. is being discussed.

three  …...…...… Reg. 184916 dated 17.03.1865  -  Apsley Pellat …......…    a name to conjure with and famous in the world of glassmaking and innovation.              This item is surely a traditionally made three part drinking glass - though for exactly which sort of booze I'm not sure.
Pellat Registered two designs on this one date   ……..   184916 and 184917, the latter being for a design for decanter.           Understandably, Slack has mis-read a poor Register entry  -  this is reproduced in the next post - and it's easy to see how the final digit of the first of these Nos. looks like a zero, so if you have his book and wish to correct the No., it should read 184916  -  and not 184910.   
I doubt we've seen an example of this design on the GMB.

four ............... Reg. 189321 dated 25.08.1865  -  James Derbyshire & Bro.      ....      Hopefully, perhaps Fred or Neil might be able to add more on this item - hopefully someone here will have seen or own an example of this pattern.

pix attached here of the Registrations, for the four glasses, as above, and one picture over for the Register page.

Any queries or complaints and I'm absent for six months, though of course any additional information that adds to the interest for these Registrations is always welcome, and thanks for looking. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 02:54:55 PM »
Register page for the Pellat designs for 184916 and 184917, as discussed above    ...

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »
I have the James Derbyshire 1864 goblet, the 1865 one is yet to turn up anywhere...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 07:18:08 PM »
many thanks for posting Neil  -  I wonder why the slightly later design should be silent so far.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand