No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed tumblers & goblets  (Read 9538 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: pressed tumblers & goblets
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2020, 09:35:10 AM »
Re. Registration 234517 dated 16th October 1869 - Percival Vickers & Co., Ltd., Manchester.

Goblet is definitely press-moulded.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2020, 09:39:46 AM »
Re. Registration 235821 dated 6th November 1869 - Percival Vickers & Co., Ltd., Manchester.   

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »
Re. Registration 236002 dated 10th November 1869 - Ker, Webb & Co., Manchester. 

The only image of the straight-sided goblet (as per the design representation) that I have is by permission of the Manchester City Galleries.

The same registry date lozenge is more commonly found on a round-bodied goblet with the same decorative design features.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2020, 10:46:39 AM »
very big thanks as always Fred - it brings these designs to life when we see an example in the flesh  -   also for the confirmation that 234517 is indeed pressed, as I'd assumed was most likely.

Take it that Manchester City Galleries have their own picture archive - as opposed to you visiting in person and taking some snaps, perhaps :)
Might this be the first time the GMB has benefited from their archives, or have you posted images from them before, and I've forgotten?

thanks again.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2020, 12:55:48 PM »
The RD 236002 Ker & Webb image was indeed from their image archives (quite a few years ago now). I've tried to find the original web image to insert a link but I don't seem to be able to find it any more.

I think that this is the only Manchester City Galleries image that I have posted. Perhaps Neil Harris  is more conversant with their Manchester glass archives.

Fred.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2020, 10:10:24 AM »
There isn't really a glass archives at the Manchester Art Gallery. They have a number of objects donated and collected, mostly glass, some historical. A number have been photographed but not everything is correctly labelled.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2020, 08:03:14 AM »
four more, from 1869-70 - two tumblers and two goblets from the diamond Registration period.

one ……………    Registration 237550 dated 23.12.1869  -  Percival Vickers - Manchester.

two …………..    Registration 237893 dated 07.01.1870  -  E. H. Downes - Manchester.                   Not a name I'm familiar with.

three ……….     Registration 239084 dated 22.02.1870  -  Molineaux Webb - Manchester.   

four ………..     Registration 240010 dated 26.03.1870  -  Percival Vickers - Manchester.

There remain only two Registrations for me to add, which will conclude this little exercise covering tumbler and goblet designs Registered during the lozenge period.               All adds to the overall picture and interest of C19 pressed goblets and tumblers, and as with earlier items in this thread, I'd like to offer a big thanks to Fred (agincourt17) especially, for providing much additional interest along the way - also to neilh for providing some relevant historical interest.                   Contributors to this thread put much flesh on the bones of these Victorian inventions and hopefully give them a new lease of life and greater collector interest.     thanks. 

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »
Edwin Henry Boulton Downs ran a high end glass and china dealership in central Manchester, he was also a hotel owner in Bolton. He registered two pieces, the one above and another in 1873. He took over John Derbyshire's factory for a few years after it went bust, the last two registrations from that factory, as "The Regent Road Glass Works" occurred whilst he owned the business. He died in 1889.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »
many thanks Neil for this interesting additional information  -  I can claim some lack of responsibility regarding the incorrect spelling of Downes, and you have shown it correctly as Downs.
In fact the Kew Register entry for 237893 is the wrong spelling and led me astray...…………….  I've now looked at the Register for 278292 and the name appears as you've shown it, correctly, without the 'e'.
For whatever reason, I can't find a picture of the design for 278292 in my photos of the Kew Registrations  -  do you know what the item is please - and presumably we've not had this design previously.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »
It's a rather dull tumbler with two rows of horizontal ovals

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand