No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed tumblers & goblets  (Read 9549 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: pressed tumblers & goblets
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2021, 11:53:06 AM »
Not sure if this adds anything to this thread but I couldn't find another reference on search.

This book details a visit in 1843 by Prince Albert to Birmingham.
On page 57 it discusses the visit to Messrs. Bacchus and Son in Dartmouth Street and talks about a piece of pressed glass being made and refers to it being the 'new mode of pressing':

'.. and a very elegant glass centre-piece was produced by the new mode of pressing.  A process somewhat similar to die-stamping.'

As an aside for future searches, it also talks about them blowing a two handled cup during the visit.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Progresses_of_Queen_Victoria_and_Pri/v69fAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=visit+birmingham+queen+adelaide&pg=PA115&printsec=frontcover

Source:  The Progresses of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in France, Belgium and England - published by William Frederick Wakeman (my note - 1843)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2021, 01:36:08 PM »
Hello flying free  .........   I suspect the answer is 'no', since details lack specifics, and are too scant to be of much use, but your addition, and the hard work you always put into posts for the GMB are  interesting for a variety of other reasons  -  not the least of which  -  in this instance  -  is the unbelievable working class patronage toward Royalty and the general overview of social activities early in Victoria's reign.      When you read much of the other text of your post, then how this country avoided the same fate as Russia and France I shall never know.                I've not a clue as to what is meant by 'die stamping' a centre piece of glass  -  in materials other than glass it's a cold process whereby a die under pressure creates a pattern in relief - usually - on metal.      Certainly it's not what I had first thought, which was the creation of something like an epergne.      Reference to blowing a two handled cup was perhaps something to do with a loving cup do you think?              This thread looks to have received a fair amount of interest in the little over a year since my final contribution, so glad it was a minor success.                   I only wish quality glass could be found as easily now as it was ten years ago or more, but it was enjoyable while it lasted  -  I'd love to go back and experience those early morning boot sales again, and the fun of charity shops.     If I come back again I shall make a point of coming back with all my knowledge and will request I'm dropped off somewhere in the mid 1950s;-)   my best wishes to you.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2021, 02:07:50 PM »
Hi :)  I was just putting the info here because of the dating of early pressed glass, and specifically at Bacchus really I suppose.
That book was written about the visit in 1843 and refers to it then as 'the new mode of pressing'. 
So I added it in case anyone was looking for dates of early pressed glass.  For Bacchus that seems to be about 1843 ish according to this report.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2021, 04:01:04 PM »
Hi m - yes, you're possibly right about the date  -  from our point of view a shame that the article lacks details as to actual processes, but can't expect too much in a review that was more concerned with the 'Royal aspect'.         The date of the Royal visit is close to the commercial beginnings of pressed glass, and at a time when the factories were still trying to get things right.          When I contributed here regularly, I don't recall much chit chat about George Bacchus and pressed glass (who incidentally, were known as Bacchus & Green prior to 1840) - why the change of name I've no idea.     I could be very wrong but thought they were better known for high end glass and p/weights  -  anyone who has a copy of McConnell's 'Decanter' book can see his comments about Bacchus being regarded as arguably England's finest answer to Egermann's flashed and cut to clear. 
Quoting from Ray Slack, he says ..............""The first makers of pressed glass in England were Rice Harris, Bacchus & Green, and John Gold, all of Birmingham"".                 Although Ray doesn't attach dates to his comments, obviously it must be prior to 1840 due the the name of Bacchus & Green.   After a while, as we know, it snowballed, and toward the late 1840s pressed glass was being made in prodigious quantities.           I've still no idea what your article's author was implying re the comments about George Bacchus and die stamping  -  I don't recall modern authors using such an expression or phrase, and as I say I don't recall George Bacchus being a big player in the pressed glass trade, as the C19 wore on.    Mark West says of George Bacchus ....................  ""George Bacchus & Son - Birmingham, England.     Established c. 1840.    Influenced by Bohemian glass.     Decorated opal ware, transfer printed with black, sepia and polychrome .  .......""  ......      so no mention of pressed glass there.   
The glass tax wasn't abolished until 1845 (and had been doubled in 1800), and was a millstone around the necks of those makers of pressed glass mainly for the reason that pressed wares were thicker and heavier than blown glass and attracted more duty  -  so in those early years of making pressed wares it wasn't for the faint hearted.       Phoebe Phillips comments   ..  "Bacchus & Green were amongst some of the best-known makers" - though the author doesn't provide attribution/provenance for that statement  -  it's possible the lady was confusing pressed wares with other methods of glass making.   
Regret I seem not to have my copy of Hajdamach's book on C19 glass  -  it's possibly he may have provided some better info. on George Bacchus.

I've had a look at the Diamond (lozenge) Design Nos. for the ten years from 1840 - 1850, but can't see a single Registration for George Bacchus, so can only think that whatever it was that so impressed everyone on the Royal visit in 1843 turned out to be less impressive in a commercial sense.

By the way m, I wasn't trying to be critical of your comments - just don't think this article re pressed glass has any mileage as to real usefulness, but always good to have any information:-)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2021, 12:52:34 PM »
Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham, written in the 1880s I think, says:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Showell%27s_Dictionary_of_Birmingham.djvu/329

'American writers claim that the first pressed glass tumbler was made about 40 years back in that country, by a carpenter. We have good authority for stating that the first pressed tumbler was made in this country by Rice Harris, Birmingham, as far back as 1834. But some years earlier than this dishes had been pressed by Thomas Hawkes and Co., of Dudley, and by Bacchus and Green, of Birmingham. '

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand