No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dwarf ale glass?  (Read 842 times)

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
Dwarf ale glass?
« on: January 23, 2020, 08:38:38 PM »
Off the back of the previous dram glass topic, here's the glass I had thought was a dwarf ale glass circa 1830-50

Conical bowl with slice cut panels around and lots of striations in the glass. 5.5cm diameter. 85g, 10.5cm tall. Dimple at the base of the bowl.  Lots of wear to the base which is also 5.5cm diameter, with a polished out pontil, and a notable inclusion (just above the 3 o'clock position in pic 4).

And yes, photos are taken inside my fridge. Until I can get myself set up with a suitable rig for quality glass photography, it was the best thing I could think of for Paul's suggestion about light diffused through plastic

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Dwarf ale glass?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 09:41:39 PM »
surprising what you can do in a fridge ;)  -  but you can already see the improved contrast and better definition of the glass - I like the touch of an almost sepia tone.          Not an ale in my opinion  -  probably a small wine I think, and date wise you're about right.     Nice glass  -  does it ring if flicked?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 09:51:46 PM »
Thanks Paul. Yep, it does ring to the flick. Small wine is fine by me. It gets used with fortified wines so it's fulfilling its purpose.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 12:05:21 AM »
Similar to a few I've picked up recently, due to lack of space glasses like these are easy to squeeze on the shelves  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:43:31 AM »
good pieces Keith  -  everted rims are always attractive.              What are you at now …………..     93rd shelf is it  ;D ;D

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 02:46:15 PM »
Shall have to count one of the days !  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 06:55:27 PM »
It’s nice to be seeing some more old drinking glasses (...and decanters on other threads)  ;D

I was wondering if Keith’s second glass is somewhat unusual as I can’t remember seeing a glass of this style with the bladed knop but with a faceted stem? Think I’ve seen several like Keith’s but without the stem faceting, it looks like one of those but they decided to add more cutting? Maybe wrong of course :) Nice glasses.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 08:23:54 PM »
Nice glasses Keith. What sort of date would they be?

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 12:01:27 AM »
I'm presuming mid- late Victorian, I've only recently started collecting drinking glasses, apart from Chance glass tumblers, Webb's, Royal Brierley and a few others so still new at this, sort of  ::) ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand