No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1970s European Studio Glass?  (Read 794 times)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
1970s European Studio Glass?
« on: February 01, 2020, 08:06:24 PM »
This bottle/vase is about 5.5" high x 4" in diameter and weighs 1.25 lbs. The pontil is a bit unusual. There are some marks etched on the bottom which appear to be initials and a year (L O 73) and maybe a catalog or inventory number (4 73 - 42). The latter could be March 1973, 42nd piece made. Maybe the work of an actual artist, not a student. The "inventory" number could also be part of an inventory system shared by several artists in a studio, hence the relatively large number, 42, or maybe that is not too much for a single artist to produce in a month. All guesses on my part as to what these numbers and letters are and may have meant. Also, note the line in the middle of both number 7s. That is not commonly done in the U.S., so this could be a European piece, although it came from a seller in Kansas, USA. Any thoughts on whether or not this might be European or anything else about it? Thanks!
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: 1970s European Studio Glass?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 09:41:58 PM »
My first thought on seeing this strapped, or trailed, piece, is that it could be from Malta.  I can't comment on the numbers, but that's where I would start if it were mine.  It's a lovely chunky little piece!

Further thought - I wonder if it could be an experimental piece.  Having the trails on the bottom wouldn't seem very practical.  I remember reading that Isle of Wight glass had a snapped pontil scar up to 1973.  Sorry for the random musings......I fully expect to be shot down very soon by someone who knows  ;D
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 10:18:04 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I did not know much about Malta glass and started researching it.
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 12:25:18 PM »
i'm pretty confident this isn't from Malta. I suggest Amercian studio glass

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
I wouldn't disagree with Lustrousstone  -  mostly because I've not a clue as to real origin of this piece, but ………………..  like cat I also looked quickly and thought it appeared to be some form of take on a not uncommon Mdina design, or even an original in rare a colourway  -  such genuine pieces are usually in colours other than seen here.         Imitation, as they say, is the sincerest form of flattery, but the trailing on the underside does seem peculiar.

Looking at the digits - not sure how common, or otherwise, it is for the States to use the Continental cross on the figure seven.

Where is the lady from Scotland who is one of our acknowledged experts on Maltese?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 07:11:18 PM »
I was in Catfish Row yesterday.  :)

Not Maltese. The colours are both completely wrong and the trailing would not have gone around the bottom; a broken pontil scar would not be found on any bottle with a wide flange.
And the numbers wouldn't be Maltese.
I'm afraid I am clueless.
The blue is a bit dark and too royal for Maltese, the slightly dirty ambery yellow colour of the trails is absolutely not Maltese.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 07:45:49 PM »
A Big Thank You! to everyone who has replied to this thread. The "crossed 7" is very unusual in the U.S. I personally have never known or seen anyone here who does this. I am ex-military and it is not commonly used there. Slashed zeros and lined Zs are common, though, and I still do that. When I first saw it, I thought it was American studio glass, until I noticed the 7s.. Now I have no idea...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand