No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice? Can anyone help?  (Read 770 times)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
Skrdlovice? Can anyone help?
« on: February 15, 2020, 01:58:42 PM »
Hi.  Hope someone can help.  I saw this ashtray in a local charity shop in the North West of England and from memory of one of my many searches of mid-century Czech glass Skrdlovice came to mind.  Some quick searches of the web came up with this:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/236584819/rudolf-beranek-skrdlovice-glass-ashtray?show_sold_out_detail=1#

but if you follow the link you'll see no label to confirm.  I have seen a few other examples that look very similar in shape but again none with any labels to help confirmation.  I've tried my books with no success so am hoping that someone on the GMB may be able to confirm.

It measures 15 cm x 10 cm x 7 cm (L x W x D) and weighs just over 730 gms.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.  Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Skrdlovice? Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »
there might possibly be some confusion here regarding the designers name as given in your link  -  Czech pieces in this stylized 'ashtray' sort of shape are many.             Have a look at similar pieces showing in this link  -  some remain without a designer attribution is seems.               
https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/bohemian_glass/skrdloviceglass_home.htm

Of course you may have already looked here, in which case ignore me.              As far as I can see, Jackson doesn't mention a Rudolf and don't think Newhall does either.

Oddly, Rudolf Beranek is absent from the list ofdesigner names in Mark Hill's booklet, and if you read the pre-amble with some details re the Skrdlovice Glassworks, the three Beraneks seem to have been Emanuel, Jan and Jindrich, but have to admit that this isn't my area really.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 03:07:57 PM »
Yes in his book he mentions Emanuel, Jaroslav, Jindrich, Jan &Vlastimil in the designer profiles, but if you check the appendix of list of designers by year, Rudolf is listed as being at Skrdlovice between 1954 & 1965 and also in 1967, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1979 and finally in 1986, but there is no mention of his designs that I have seen in the book.  Not quite sure where else to look for any reference to his designs.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 03:29:29 PM »
unsure which 'he' you're referring to  -  my books mentioned above don't look to have an Appendix, but of course may have missed something, or perhaps I don't have a suitable updated edition.

It seems significant that Rudolf is absent from all the usual sources discussing Skrdlovice designers.

Unfortunately, Board members who might have known much more on this subject haven't contributed for some time.

Did you see your shape anywhere in the link I added?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand