No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Patrick McMahon Wine Glasses  (Read 1124 times)

Offline AussieSteph

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Perth, Australia
Patrick McMahon Wine Glasses
« on: February 07, 2020, 02:52:22 AM »
Hi all,

I'm an Aussie, who recently came across 2 Patrick McMahon wine glasses in an Op shop in little old Perth.

Thought maybe someone else might be able to tell me a bit about them, since I've found little info on specific pieces online ???
Appear to be of a duck and a crane, which (although both are birds) seems to be a bit too different for a pair of glasses, so I assume they may have originally come from a set of 6?

I don't have a pic of signature (I'll take better/more photos tomorrow in good lighting), but it just reads Patrick McMahon Cumbria.  Look of the glasses matches with the handblown (slightly imperfect) Cumbria Crystal.

Any info would be great  :)

Also if anyone has any estimate on price that would be amazing.  I'm not planning on selling anyway because I love them, just more wanting to know whether I should consider using them or keep them safely displayed on a shelf.

Thanks everyone!
Steph

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Patrick McMahon Wine Glasses
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 05:40:05 PM »
Hi and welcome.  :)
We do not tend to discuss values here - in the secondary market something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, in that place, at that time.
Ball park figures can often be obtained by trawling sold auctions to see what the same things have made before. ;)

But I don't see why you shouldn't use them. That is what wine glasses are for  ;D - the glass should be lovely and enhance the experience.

Just be careful, hand wash and dry carefully afterwards. Don't let them sit for ages with residue drying up in the bottom, or any liquids in them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 06:54:06 PM »
How lovely to see more of Patrick's work, he is a special interest of mine, as I used to watch him at work in his studio in Grange over Sands. Sadly he's no longer with us, he died 10 years ago of a brain tumour aged just 55. He trained (so I was told) at Waterford, hence the quality of his work and he also worked at Cumbria Crystal before setting up on his own in Grange over Sands. A bit more here https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,42002.0.html

May I add your photos to the gallery of Patrick's work on GlassGallery please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline AussieSteph

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Perth, Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 07:44:20 AM »
Thanks for the info Sue and Anne  ;D
Sorry for the slow reply.  Feel free to use any images Anne, I was trying to take some better ones, but it turns out I'm not very good at glass photography unfortunately.  Hard to get the lighting right  :-\  If I manage to take some better/clearer photos, I'll send them through to you.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:29:12 AM »
hello Steph  -  I agree, very appealing glasses, though unfortunately there is almost nothing in current, C20, books that I could find.

It's possible to improve the visual quality of your pix easily and without much effort  …………..    what mostly detracts from the value of what we see in pictures of glass is the busy background - the shots of people's home décor and furniture, and sometimes their gardens too ;).             
Clear glass probably presents the biggest challenge, so start with a background of plain grey or charcoal paper or card, and try diffused lighting which helps to avoid bright glare which will blur the final result.
Here is a link from someone who appears to have mastered the art  -  it's not necessary that you achieve such high quality results, but if some of the suggestions help then you will be surprised at the improvement in your pix. :)
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,62864.0.html

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 09:54:49 PM »
Hi Steph, thank you, that's very kind of you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand