No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Waisted textured bark vase. Thin construction. Any maker please?  (Read 854 times)

Offline createdbear

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Waisted textured bark vase. Thin construction. Any maker please?
« on: February 07, 2020, 07:14:01 PM »
A well made piece, but quite thin glass. The bottom half is rather Whitefriars-esque. The inch or so down from the rim at the top should be a giveaway. These textured vases are a minefield. Anyone help with a maker please? Any info as always greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Waisted textured bark vase. Thin construction. Any maker please?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 10:01:31 PM »
Possibly Japanese....the base reminds me of the one in the sixth row down on this link, although the body is different.  There have been other bark textured vases identified as Japanese.

https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/japanese_glass/japaneseglass_home.htm
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline createdbear

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:08:13 PM »
D'y'know Cats, I had a feeling Japanese too. I Googled as usual and I just couldn't find one the same...that slightly waisted middle was absent on so many vases I saw (all cylindrical) and If I see another pic of a bark vase that is listed as Whitefriars when it ISN'T, I'll, well, I'll take a blood pressure tablet! I did find a squat green one that had the same edge around the rim and that repetitive pattern going down about an inch from the top, but it was listed  (on etsy) as a textured bark vase like Whitefriars, from the 60s.
So, I agree, I think Japanese. It is quite thin glass which a lot of Jap stuff was. It is 9 inches tall but only weighs about 400 grams but a nicely made piece all the same. Thank you for your help as always.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »
Get the pills out.....this auction house has done just that!  At least it is another waisted vase.

https://www.lskauctioncentre.co.uk/auction/lot/13-A-Whitefriars-glass-bark-vase-by-Geoffrey/?lot=321176&sd=1

I've just started a folder to collect pictures of properly attributed bark vases, to try and make it easier when they get posted on the board. 
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 02:13:26 PM »
sounds like a very useful exercise cat  -  would you consider incorporating into your folder the Board's links to Emmi Smith's words and pix which the lady gathered, showing some of the mis-attributions etc. and W/Fs look alikes and wannabees?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 03:10:01 PM »
Reminds me of these coloured tumblers which were not made by Whitefriars, as far as I know maker unknown but sometimes thought to be Italian: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/281960855442

The bases look very similar.

John

Offline createdbear

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 01:20:03 AM »
Attractive glasses there obsessed. I wouldn't mind them myself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand