No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: heavy Wedgwood vase by Ronald Stennett-Willson  (Read 1101 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
heavy Wedgwood vase by Ronald Stennett-Willson
« on: February 27, 2020, 09:27:37 PM »
H1 Folks,
I wonder if someone could identify this Wedgwood vase for me please.
I have hunted far and wide in books on every relevant web site (except here without but without success.
The vase is green and heavy and carries the typical Wedgwood England oval stamp to the base.
I thought it would likely be a Stennett - Willson design but please take a look and see if you can identify it for me.
It measures 16 cms tall with a rim diameter of 11.3 cms. it weighs 1.5kg.
Many Thanks,
Bryn

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: heavy Wedgwood vase
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 10:23:03 PM »
Hi Bryn  -  regret your picture too small for detail to be seen  -  hope you can take pix again and re-size with the first dimension maximum 700, and hope you're able to add a picture of the oval stamp.

I don't off-hand recognize the shape, although believe this green was a colour used by Wedgwood  -  when you say 'oval stamp', assume you mean a sandblasted backstamp, and not a label  -  Wedgwood used a variety of backstamps and labels over the years, and I think their oval design was a late example in their production range.               Their early backstamp was the Portland vase design.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 10:34:36 PM »
Will try again Paul.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 08:37:15 AM »
thanks Bryn  -  much better and can tell you it's not a vase :)   -   apparently it's a 'table lantern', and you were correct with your original stab at this being a Ronald Stennett-Willson design  -  it's one of a variety of Candleholder designs he created back in 1967-68.
According to Lesley Jackson these were designed for King's Lynn Glass, and produced by Wedgwood Glass, and in Jackson's book '20th Century Factory Glass' (page 108), there's a reproduction of a catalogue page showing the Company's output for these things and the page is headed 'Candlesticks-Candleholders-Table Lanterns.            Your design is shown in clear only, and the catalogue page shows this containing a large but short candle.
I've no idea if there are other illustrations of this particular piece - judging by your comments this may be a less than common design.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 10:03:04 AM »
Hi Paul,
Many thanks for that information.
I probably would never have found that information if I’d hunted for a week. The book that you mention by Lesley Jackson has passed through my hands in the passed. But if I remember rightly it was a piece of Webb Corbett that I was trying to identify at the time.
The book was in my local library so I shall visit there later today to see if it’s still there.
 It was about 6 years ago. So fingers crossed!
Thanks again - I’d never have found that information👍
Bryn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand