No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby bowl - can this be Isle of Wight or is it Murano? ID = Murano  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Ruby bowl - can this be Isle of Wight or is it Murano?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 02:40:45 PM »
thanks Neil  -  so covered by a clear casing then.         I meant to say ………  heavy due to thickness, rather than any lead content  -  and forgot :)
Lead as an ingredient is usually only present in glass that is intended for cutting - apparently it helps with the cutting.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 02:43:38 PM »
Hello Paul, I presume your reference to lead only being used in glass for cutting refers to modern glass or Murano glass only?  Certainly late 17th and 18th century English glass was made with lead regardless of whether it was destined for the cutter's wheel.  Best wishes, Neil

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »
Lead glass is not only easier to cut, it is also easier to work when it is a hot metal.
However, it is more expensive than other sorts.

Casing over silver foil would be very tricky, the hot metal would need to be quite cool to prevent the silver burning and reacting with it.

That gives rise to opaque blues and yellows appearing.
You can see that happening in earlier pieces of IoWSG Azurene.

You don't see that happening in these (earlier) Murano pieces.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »
Hi Neil  -  you're very correct, of course, re the lead content of late C17 and C18 glass, a great deal of which wasn't cut anyway  -  my slipshod wording was really meant in connection with C19 and C20 glass  ……………  must learn to be more precise. ;)   thanks for putting me right.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand