No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hermanova Hut (Sklo Union) - Celery vase.  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Hermanova Hut (Sklo Union) - Celery vase.
« on: March 07, 2020, 02:23:18 PM »
Have a feeling I'm not allowed to reproduce the CD Rom catalogue page which accompanied Marcus Newhall's book 'Sklo Union - Art Before Industry: 20th Century Czech Pressed Glass'  -  this piece occurs on page 20 from Hermanova Hut factory catalogue designs issued before 1958.                The reason for the waffle is that page 20 shows a variety of 'sea shell' designs, plus this 'cornucopia' shape, and is a welcome change from all those vases and bowls of standard form  -  so by way of compensation, here is something I've borrowed from Pamela.
https://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/08435.html   …...……   unfortunately, my example, in common with Pamela's, is missing the frog/flower support.         The size is given as 16 cms. in the catalogue (height), though I think this one is a little  nearer 15 cms., and like so much older pressed glass from Czechoslvakia, this one is what I assume is 'pink'.                    Factory pattern is No. 19514, and it's well worth having a look at page 20 if you get the chance.

Like Pamela's example, the underside of the foot is marked Czechoslovakia, but the real reason for showing, and which prompted the purchase, is the word CELERY - placed a few mm. away from the country of origin, so would assume either all the production of this design, or perhaps some, were intended for export to the U.K.             On the face of it there does look to be some stretching of the imagination to interpret this shape as a celery, but any port in a storm as they say, when trying to avoid paying Purchase Tax.       I've no idea if the example from Pamela's museum also includes the word CELERY.   
Whilst the foot lacks any wear, the cloudiness internally does indicate some use of water, but otherwise it looks to have lead a sheltered life.

If anyone would care to send me their spare support, that would be immensely kind ;)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Hermanova Hut (Sklo Union) - Celery vase.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:39:49 PM »
How curious to find Celery on one of these Paul - like you, I'd struggle to visualise celery in it, but yes, any chance to avoid the dreaded tax eh?  I rather like this design, it makes a refreshing change from the more humdrum vase shapes.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 06:07:26 PM »
thanks Anne - apparently Hermanova Hut did knock out some of their production in uranium  -  wouldn't this look good glowing in the front room cabinet :)            According to the book, they also did amethyst, clear, light blue, turquoise, yellow and amber.               If you lived next door Anne I'd willingly give it to you, but am afraid it will be back to the charity shop on Monday. 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 09:59:51 PM »
Amethyst and turquoise would be good finds methinks,  colours seen much less often.   That's a kind thought Paul, but let the charity shop benefit from it, I'm really trying to focus only on collecting trinket sets now for reasons of space.  :-*
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand