No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jade coloured bowl - ID = Stevens and Williams  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
Jade coloured bowl - ID = Stevens and Williams
« on: March 08, 2020, 06:11:04 PM »
Hi everyone. Picked this up jade coloured bowl today. It's very finely made, with a polished pontil that is the full width of the foot, leaving only a very slim ring of glass touching the surface.  No marks or stamps on it. Tested under UV and it's not uranium. It's around 5 and a half inches wide, 2 inches tall, weighs 130 grams and is very delicate.

Interested to know what people think! Thanks

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Jade coloured bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 06:47:22 PM »
 :) Is it that peculiar sort of glass that can feel and sound a bit like plastic?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 06:53:27 PM »
:) Is it that peculiar sort of glass that can feel and sound a bit like plastic?
No, if anything it feels more like jade. It's not, as the seller had tested for hardness but it's silk smooth to the touch. Very tactile

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 07:41:47 PM »
Stevens and Williams, or maybe Steuben, come to mind.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 07:55:01 PM »
Hi, I don’t suppose this sort of thing has to have a specific use but I have seen similar shapes and sizes referred to as rice bowls.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 10:20:41 PM »
Stevens and Williams, or maybe Steuben, come to mind.
Thanks Catshome. I've seen a very similar bowl with matching plate on an antiques website listed as Stevens & Williams but not found anything else particularly similar. Looked at Steuben too but nothing close really.

Hi, I don’t suppose this sort of thing has to have a specific use but I have seen similar shapes and sizes referred to as rice bowls.
Cheers Ekimp. The seller thought it might be Peking glass. I'm pretty sure it isn't as it hasn't got a foot, which seems to be a standard feature of Peking bowls, but it is very much the size and shape of a rice bowl

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 05:53:46 AM »
The shape, colour and pontil mark and the particularly beautiful translucency of the opaline glass in my opinion makes this a Stevens and Williams piece from their alabaster range.  Some were marked, some not.

I think it would have also possibly had a matching underplate.

m

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 06:54:04 AM »
The shape, colour and pontil mark and the particularly beautiful translucency of the opaline glass in my opinion makes this a Stevens and Williams piece from their alabaster range.  Some were marked, some not.

I think it would have also possibly had a matching underplate.

m
Thanks Flying Free. I've seen one other example in Google images, and it did have an underplate and was listed as Stevens and Williams. Unfortunately the link to the website no longer works so I couldn't read the full description.

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 08:37:03 AM »
Update: thanks again Flying Free. Armed with the extra info, I've now found a signed Stevens and Williams one with plate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand