No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A lamp like Walther & Sohne Rotterdam  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Windsurf

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
A lamp like Walther & Sohne Rotterdam
« on: March 13, 2020, 11:53:59 PM »
Hey all. I originally posted this on Reddit, but didn't have much luck, so I'm trying here instead. I bought this lamp to match a WS Rotterdam one, but I note this lady has not been identified yet (she's still an unknown on Pamela's site). What's odd about this lamp is that it's painted, and the paint is enamel-type paint, clearly old as it's worn at the vertices and cracked from the changes in temp. It's been applied over the Czech label (label is only on the shade), which suggests whoever put base and shade together for sale applied the paint.

It had been in one family since new, and I don't have any reason to believe it was fiddled with. Some of the original pink silk flex was still inside the fitting, along with a (slightly more recent) 1970s Thorn bulb! Bulb still works too!

Anyway, I wondered if these had been seen painted before, or if anyone had any more info. Thank you!
More pics here: https://imgur.com/gallery/RZEVgAV

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: A lamp like Walther & Sohne Rotterdam
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board. We ask that you post copies of your images onto the board rather than link to those hosted elsewhere, which can disappear over time leaving the topic with a lack of useful information.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Windsurf

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 06:01:15 PM »
Unfortunately the board only accepts 500kb at a time. It's rather time-consuming compressing images when one can upload them easily elsewhere. I would be happy to add more otherwise.

Can you add some code that would auto-compress images when they were uploaded here? That could solve the problem.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 11:12:10 PM »
I have a green one, the base has a label quoting Czech but no label on the shade.
Cheers Mike

Offline Windsurf

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 11:23:08 PM »
How cool! Is it the same scalloped-style, gold label with a hyphenated "Czecho-slovakia"?

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 12:21:11 PM »
Hi, yes the label although in poor condition quotes “ made in Czecho-Slovakia” and is located just under a whole where the cable goes. Cheers Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 01:03:42 PM »
There is a whole load of info and help about using the board and resizing images, (depending on what systems you use) here.  :)

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Windsurf

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 02:05:58 PM »
Thanks, Mike! No evidence of one on there for me. It would be interesting if both labels meant both halves of the lamp came from the same manufacturer, although I realise conclusions can not be drawn.

Pictures: looool and unfortunately that’s my problem - I’m a graphic designer (book covers) by day and the idea of any more image manipulation in my spare time makes me feel physically ill (not joking). The moment I close Potatoshop (as it’s unaffectionately known) each day, I feel ten hours of tension release from my muscles. Also, the less tech-literate pay me to do re-sizing (again - not joking!), so I hope you can understand my personal objections to doing more of it in my spare time. Hosting like imgur doesn’t impose any such restrictions, so for me it makes far more sense to throw them there in all of 5s.

On a more general note, I really do think that encoding image compression into this forum would improve user experience, encourage more people to add photos, and draw in a younger crowd. Remember us millennials (I just about squeeze into that category) have the attention span of gnats and would rather be scrolling through Instagram, and any sort of impedance to user friendliness will result in giving up and heading elsewhere. We are used to things being geared toward getting us hooked from the off.

Anyway, those are my twopence-worth. Please don’t think I am ungrateful that this forum exists, or not thankful that anyone has replied to me! It’s wonderful to have some engagement!

(In the time I took to write that, I could have batch-processed about a billion images, couldn’t I?!)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 02:18:08 PM »
Well, we're not all techno-whizz kids.
I don't ever click on strange links.
And I cant find or load the original version of potato shop, the only one I can use.

The trouble with images hosted elsewhere is that they disappear, leaving a threadfull of discussion useless for future reference because it is unillustrated.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Windsurf

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 02:45:23 PM »
All excellent reasons to streamline the upload process.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand