No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual & Fun Glass Sack With Drawer String Enamel Gold Gilt ? Moser Style?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
 ;)
Got this fun little piece recently to add to my collection of unknown pieces :)
And thought id show it here in case anyone can tell who made it i think it has
a chance of being a Victorian piece of Moser but unmarked? Seems well
made as you you would expect Moser pieces or at least some. Sadly the gold gilding is a bit tired now can this
be rectified or just have to live with it???Stands around 6" tall :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
very attractive, but as they say in the antiques trade, we must preserve originality at all cost, and not alter genuine distressing;-)   ………….   in line with your questioning, my opinion is that this isn't 'gold gilding', possibly a gold coloured enamel decoration  -   in the same way the floral bits are enamel (I assume) - put me right if I'm wrong.

This not my area  -  tell me what in particular suggests Moser? :)

regret I'm clueless regarding origin or age, but early ish C20 possible.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Whenever I see blue glass applied like that I tend to think Harrach but no idea how accurate that assumption is.

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
That's gold, or at least the remnants of it. The yellow enamel would have been covered in gold (gilding means gold covered Legsy)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Lustrousstone's explanation of a yellow coloured enamel for what we are seeing as the substantial infill of leafy foliage decoration -  I can live with  -  but I'm having a problem with the suggestion that all those enamelled leafy bits were originally gilded on top of the enamel.             To gild all of those yellow enamelled leaves, individually, in 23 carat gold leaf would seem a task disproportionate to the value of the glass item - in time and cost of gold leaf required.                    As far as I know, real gold can't be painted on.

So, with the greatest of respect to Christine - from whom I've learned a lot and who has probably forgotten more about glass than I'll ever know -  I'm going to maintain my first opinion that the foliage has only ever been in yellowish or gold coloured enamel, though of course it may have the appearance of gilding - but not actually overlaid with gold leaf.  :) :)

Of course I've been wrong many times. ;D             What do others think?

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
 :o
Thanks for so many great replies i as usual make a mountain out of a mole hill
due to using the incorrect terminology :( I looked a little closer at the decor and
believe the enamel decoration is the leaves and small gold sprigs in between then all
empty areas have been gold leaf applied i can tell this under a loop as there are no
brush marks  Moser have been known to go over the top on decor i stated Moser style
but i have noticed some attributed pieces with very similar enamel decoration on Mad-For-Glass
website. I can agree with blue applied glass being a Harrach thing too i agree with that also
I'm thinking Moser style due to the Leaf decor myself  ???

Offline Paul S.

• Members
 ;D  wouldn't worry about incorrect terminology  -  it has the redeeming feature of generating discussion/debate.             Of course, if you stoop to "piano for sale by lady with worm eaten legs"  -  then you are in trouble. ;) ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Miluse Roubickova designed bag vases (sacks) with scarves around '84. (Czech, Rene Roubieck's partner and wife.)
I wonder if this vase might have been inspiration?
There are images saved on ruby lane which can be found on pinterest.
I can't work things to post a link.

This looks like quality work to me, Dan. I'd think there would have been gold leaf on the yellow bits.
The work is intense and very detailed in the enamelling alone - why would they not continue that sort of intense work over the yellow, which was always used under gold? It doesn't really make any sense not to.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
It's not applied as gold leaf. Real gold is painted on as powder in a suspension; it's a very thin layer that don't bond very well even with firing, which is why it's so often worn. (The faint dark lines you often see when the gold has disappeared are what remains of the fixative.) The yellow enamel is used under gold to raise it. It's standard on Bohemian items. English items tend to use a darker base enamel to raise gold. French stuff tends to have unraised gold. The Chance glass stuff had hand painted gold and all the wiping rags etc. were sent back to Johnson Mathey to recover the gold waste.

Gild just means thinly cover with gold

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I used the wrong word. I should not have said "leaf".
It popped out when I wasn't paying attention properly. :-[
Thanks for the correction.  :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand