No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orient & Flume American paperweights? ID = Murano  (Read 1455 times)

Offline CollectoMundi

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • Belgium
Orient & Flume American paperweights? ID = Murano
« on: March 30, 2020, 08:33:30 PM »
Please find as attachment two unsigned paperweights

both are purchased in Lille France and one has a retail sticker of a shop in Orléans.

Both are completely unsigned.

My guess would be Orient & Flume yet these are always signed. Any other guesses?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Orient & Flume American paperweights?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 02:10:28 PM »
I too personally doubt O&F as they seem to have marked very well.  However, I do suspect a USA maker for at least the Yellow one, because the early paperweight makers in the USA studio movement were heavily into surface decoration - basically because they did not have the skills to create items with internal decorations.   The second one could be much more modern and come from the far side of Asia.

I suggest you join a Facebook Group called "Paperweight Heaven"  https://www.facebook.com/groups/paperweightheaven/.   It has at least two very knowledgeable US collectors and they will be able in most cases to point you successfully.   I suggest you send each as a separate post with three photos at least of the Pwt.  One a general view like your first photos, second of the base from a little to one side (as for your yellow one), and a third taken from side on.  You may also like to photograph the canes as details.   IMPORTANT : the Facebhook groups have no restrictions on photographic size, so the bigger the better is the rule.   Unlike here where you need to shrink to a size.   Good hunting.

The first one looks to me like a USA maker in the 70s, and there were quite a few.  It shows a proper pulled feather design for the lower half.  Not saying it is any of these  - however Stephen Smyers, Northern Star, Abelman, Lundberg, GES, Mount St Helens, Nourot, OBG(Ornamentam Blown Glass), Zellique, from my own collection had the skills to make it.

I have also collected images from Ebay and elsewhere that I am reasonably sure of the attribution - and I will mention some more possible suspects.   Correia Studio, Vandermark, Mark Cantor, Carl Radke/Pheonix Studios, Don Richardson and finally Liberty Village.  Don Richardson is not related to Cathy or Colin - they are far to recent.

I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »
I've had several examples of this paperweight including one with a Murano paperweight.  I believe that is what it is - from Murano.  It doesn't have the same feel in hand as an O&F weight.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 10:48:48 PM »
Absolutely. Definitely Murano.

This is what I said in the other thread where these weights feature also.

CollectoMundi: have a look at the following items on Ebay:

Sophie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand