No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano basket  (Read 1424 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Murano basket
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 06:03:01 PM »
The gold leaf has been bugging me, the selective use on the foot rim and handle decoration is similar in these items:

https://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/item/866730-vintage-murano-red-glass-basket-decorated-with-leaves-and-grapes/

Maybe Italy after all...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 06:54:29 PM »
I’m not disagreeing, but I have noticed when trying to identify an item of mine, that on a similar price guide site (but not Carter’s) the photos were taken from an eBay sale and the description para phrased. If you look in the ‘about us’ section of the Carter’s site in the link, it says “All antiques and collectables in this database include a professionally photographed image, and have been sourced from actual auction sales in Australia and New Zealand.”

Does that mean that the attribution and description has just been lifted off a real world auction catalogue? If so, they’re not always the most accurate sources are they? Not that it isn’t what they say, just I’m now a bit cautious with this type of site for an attribution.

Ps. I don’t do Facebook either Terry, so can’t help. Hopefully you’ll let us know if you get a reply from them. :)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Terry

• Members
    • Murano birds
    • Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 02:41:01 AM »
Thanks John and Mike for your considered comments. John's link shows a basket which, from the one photo, seems to be a dead-ringer for my basket (except maybe for colour). However, as Mike points out, the description just says "Murano" and may be just a copy of the original seller's hopeful description. As mentioned, many similar ones on eBay just say "Murano, Salviati or Salviati Style". Will let you know if I get anywhere with my enquiries. Will keep trying.
Kind regards,
Terry   

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 08:11:14 AM »
Yes those sites siphon up information from the likes of ebay along with bricks and mortar auction houses, attributions would need to be verified with trustworthy material from elsewhere whether in print or maybe a trusted online source like Loetz.com. They buy the data I imagine. They contain an archive of images which can be useful, in the case of the red basket 'Murano' should probably read Empoli - this has been discussed elsewhere here on the forum.

I think there is a distinct difference in quality between the red basket and Terry's which looks much more precisely made, however they do appear to share an overall design. The similarities do not necessarily imply a shared maker but maybe a cross fertilisation of ideas. I think that last phrase shows I have too much time on my hands!

John

Offline Terry

• Members
    • Murano birds
    • Australia
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »
Thanks John. Just to make sure we are talking about the same basket; the basket in your link is different to the basket you showed in your message. There does seem to a difference in quality between the two. Mine looks more like the one in the link.
Kind regards,
Terry

Offline Terry

• Members
    • Murano birds
    • Australia
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 03:45:17 AM »
Interesting to note that Dorigato, Attilia (2003). Murano. Island of Glass, page 149 shows photos of Murano baskets from the 18th century, exhibited in the Murano Glass Museum, with the identical pressed feet and similar rigaree, presumably attributed to Briati.
Suggests to me that maybe someone later on copied such easy to reproduce features in similar baskets, maybe in the late 19th century when the reproduction of old designs seemed to be in demand?
Any thoughts?
Terry

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »
That process of revisiting old designs is typical, as I understand it glassmakers on Murano learning their craft have to reproduce the traditional designs and techniques as part of their apprenticeship. If there was a market for such designs at any given time you can guarantee someone was making examples to service that demand. It can be difficult to distinguish when a particular item was made on Murano especially when any differences between items are subtle, knowledge and experience would be essential I guess.

As a general rule of thumb if an item from Murano contains tiny specks of ash then it is likely to be earlier than the 1950s or 60s when a new flue design began to be introduced that stopped ash falling into the pots of molten glass. Like all such 'rules' no doubt there will be exceptions...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand