No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rooster Shield - age range on this label?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Rooster Shield - age range on this label?
« on: August 27, 2006, 08:10:17 PM »
Hi everyone,
I received an email on my website asking about this label, and I didnt have an answer for it. I looked though and thought it was only on touristy type pieces, like a glass bell I have. But recently received this vase, looks like a scavo piece with irridescent surface, and it has the same label as my bell.
Wondering if anyone knew what age range was this label in use, since I dont think the yellow vase I have now is new at all.
The rooster is bitting a snake, and has what looks like a ferret on its back.

The vase has a face decoration on each side.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 08:57:37 PM »
From a graphic arts and font standpoint, I believe it would date from the late 1930s through 1940s.  This style of font was passe by the 1950s.  I initiated some discussion on this label a while back, and maybe the discussion will shed some light on maker, since it's such a unique label.  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4809.0.html

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 05:05:02 AM »
This label does look older from the one my glass bell has, and it is about 2 times larger, but I dont think I can say its from the 30's.

Also, the label I was sent on my website, (from the original person asking me about the label) is on an opalescent swan, and it looks like it is from the 60's from the style. That is why I was asking the time frame it was used, if anyone knows.

If anyone else has the same label on their items we can post them here, and see the styles, what items they are, and maybe come up with a time frame, a maker, or leave it as just an import label.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 03:35:39 PM »
I replied on the Labels thread about your rooster label Javier, but I think it got a bit lost in the later posts - this was my reply:

Quote from: "Anne"
Javier, your rooster shield is the same label as Jim Sapp posted as found on fairy lamps and which Sue mentioned on her sommerso gold and green duck both earlier in this thread. No-one seems to know who it's from yet but I did notice that Campanella also use a chicken in their more recent-looking labels. Could there be a connection? Two glass firms with chickens may be unusual or are the Muranese especially fond of chickens?
See this label for comparison:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1899

Hope this helps a little.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand