No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Little glass sculpture Kosta / Mona Morales-Schildt  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Ysala

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scandinavian Glass
    • Germany
Little glass sculpture Kosta / Mona Morales-Schildt
« on: April 17, 2020, 04:18:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and not really a serious collector but I find glass fascinating and when I see a piece I like (and is affordable) it gets a new home.
English is my second language and although I'm quite comfortable in it there is probably a lot of special vocabulary that i'm looking forward to learn  :)

I'm also not sure if this maybe belongs in the paperweight section?!

Since currently all flea markets here are canceled, I went back to checking online, something I haven't done in a while.
That's where I came accross this little glass scultpure (paperweight?)
It was descibed as "Paperweight, round, Holmegaard" but since I really liked the look of it I didn't ask any questions or for more photos.

It's clear glass, with a little bit of "milkyness" to it. There is a round "bubble" in the middle and the streaks all lead towards the center but in a way that leaves a little bit of a streak-free window that can be aligned with the bubble.
On one side it matches brilliantly, the other side is a bit off-center. The off-center side also has two little quirks in the form of little, crescend moon shaped damages. They are visible but it doesn't feel uneven.
It's approx. 93mm in hight and weighs 621g and it's not a globe. The base is 20mm wide but it's wider towards the middle. 

When it arrived I was surprised to see the Signautre "Kosta SH 5830"
I did a little bit of research (I mentioned I'm new to this, right?) and if the signutare is correct it's a little sculpture done by Mona Morales-Schildt for Kosta and based on the 4-digit number made in the 1950s-1970s

Going through the google picture search I found two other examples from online auction sites (not ebay).
One seems to be the same color as mine but with a bit more grain in the center (at least that what it looks like on the picture), it has a lable and the signature says the same (with an additional B.) but is engraved in a different hand.
The other one has a different color as most of it is in yellow, except the outer rim and the window in the middle and here the signature is "Kosta Mona Moarels 5-442)

I just really like this one and felt the urge to share it and maybe get some thoughts on it. Any input is more than welcome :)

Now let's try adding photos....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand