No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Found - Green Decanter (?) + Glasses marked ITALY - ID = Bormioli  (Read 2002 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Found this in the back of cupboard with six glasses. Can any one tell the maker by this mark. Thanks Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Found
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »
Hello Chris  -  welcome to the GMB :)  -  the short answer is no, I've not a clue as to an attribution, age or origin  -  sorry.

It appears that this is a decanter - think I'm seeing a stopper - am I correct?      Unfortunately, I can't really make out what the moulded marks or whatever, on the underside, are supposed to be - are you able to clarify, please  -  are they letters or Nos. possibly.
It's always possible that these marks will simply be a factory code, production No., or a makers mark of some description, but insufficient for us to decode the maker.

It may or may not help the more knowledgeable here, but your subject heading tells us nothing about this item - out of interest a few words as to the size and perceived use, plus a very brief description, would possibly be of interest  -  we don't charge, even for quite a few extra words ;)

Are you suggesting that you consider the glasses might possibly form some sort of 'set' and belong to this bottle, or am I reading too much into your words?
Presumably this isn't something you have acquired - so bought or acquired by a family member perhaps.

Sorry to be negative on your first outing with the GMB - but as you can imagine the world is knee deep in glass in a zillion different shapes, sizes and colours, and whilst we do our best, we don't always succeed.

you might add pix of the stopper - assuming this is a decanter, and an idea of height of the whole bottle, will be of interest. :)

Offline ChrisP

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 11:04:03 AM »
the decanter has no stopper. 23cm High, 12cm Diameter. Looking on the base of the tumblers they are marked ITALY. Thanks for your interest believe they were my mothers, the paper wrapping them is dated 1985, so must be over 35 years. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »
thanks Chris  -  obviously I need Specsavers, again.              Some bottles, made specifically to be used without a stopper, are designated carafes - they would have been intended for use, with wine presumably, for a single sitting/meal - then washed and re-used in a similar fashion for a subsequent meal.            On the other hand decanters, with stoppers, are used as you will know, for storing wine, sherry, port or other spirits, and where there is an intention to store the liquid and where consumption might be over a lengthy period.
Sometimes it's possible to detect wear in the neck of the bottle  -  this can suggest there was a stopper once, though now perhaps lost, but a lack of wear might confirm this one was intended as a carafe.

That's not to say this one is definitely a carafe, it may be a decanter and simply lost it's stopper - a fate that befalls many similar items.

The glasses appear to be tumblers rather than something you might drink wine from  -  perhaps this bottle was simply for water, at the meal table, though whether the glasses and bottle started life together we may never know, but the colour is certainly a good match.

Italian second half C20 glass not my scene, but I'm aware from what folk here discuss that that Italian glass from that period is often of a strong colour, and green has been traditional for glass for a very long time.        added ……...…....   the name Blenko comes to mind, much colourful glass and certainly the period that might cover the piece here.              Could be worth checking if only to eliminate.

Hopefully, someone might yet have the answer you want - fingers crossed.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Found - Green Decanter (?) + Glasses marked ITALY
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 06:39:52 PM »
Hi ChrisP, welcome to the Board. I have tweaked your thread title - hopefully it will attract some more viewers.
KevinH

Offline ChrisP

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 12:20:10 AM »
Thanks Paul for information can't see any wear on the neck, so going with carafe, think you are right with water idea

Offline ChrisP

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 12:35:53 AM »
thanks Kevin

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 12:52:22 PM »
Chris  -  always possible this set was for water, especially since the glasses appear not to be for alcohol, but ………………..    containers for water, at the meal table, are generally found in a shape we might generally describe as jugs - see the attached for just a very few, out of the myriad of types - rather than decanter type bottles.
I suspect we will likely never know the pedigree of the pieces here, but they're attractive, and you may wish to keep these in memory of your Mother.
Did your Mother travel on the Continent or, like many of us, was she a collector of pieces for the table.

Offline ChrisP

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »
she lived in Spain for a few years after her retirement. She loved the markets, Dad just loved the bars!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
Chris your green set mark is Bormioli. :)  https://trademarks.justia.com/740/12/brf-74012254.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand