No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pauline Solven  (Read 21617 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Pauline Solven
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 05:21:35 PM »
I'm in the SWMBO camp - again :lol:

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Pauline Solven
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 06:25:50 PM »
Awwwwwww gee tanks Paul, and you is purty neat too!   :lol:

I am so glad you like the little Mr Blobby..... (if you ask Paul nicely, he might let you all see a little pic, I didn't get to take a picture before I left for the auction - then you can see just HOW blobby he is!   And why I believe he must be male....)

I think we both got some nice glass!  I got a load of Victorian opalescent/vaseline vases - fair bit of damage but not expensive so should be ok, a load of lovely carnival glass (I had to fight a bit for that, so it wasn;t cheap)  and a batch of art vases, including two signed ones by Norman Stuart Clarke, that I really do love.  And a few bits of ceramics too.  And some cigarette cards...20 lots in total!!! A good day's haul.

(Off Topic:  there was a box of football programmes, all stuck together with sellotape, grubby as anything, with staples missing. Terrible condition.  But
 they dated from the 1930s and 40s, and went for £4,500.......)

These boys and their toys.  Who'd want to pay that for some scaggy footy programmes?

I am not sure what you got Paul, I was too busy trying to keep up with my next lot.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Pauline Solven
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 06:27:42 PM »
Oh !  I missed that you had already posted a pic!  I didn;t see the thread went onto page 2...

So you can see why it is MR Blobby now can't you  :twisted:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Pauline Solven
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 06:29:34 PM »
Paul, have you found out roughly when it was made? Was it an early piece?

and excuse my ignorance, what is SWMBO?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline chuggy

• Members
Pauline Solven
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 06:37:17 PM »
SWMBO is She who must be obeyed also known as Joyce.

I'm hoping Adam A will be able to help on production time but I would guess at late 1970's early 80's.

I bought the 2 large Strombergshytten sommerso vases, the big Mdina axe or fish vase, the lot of Scandi glass that included a Vicke Lindstrand fish, and a large Hadeland Atlantic vase plus 8 other pieces, and finally 4 Murano pieces, so all in all a jolly good day.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Pauline Solven
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 07:45:50 PM »
Quote from: "chuggy"
I'm hoping Adam A will be able to help on production time but I would guess at late 1970's early 80's.

http://www.caa.org.uk/cvs/solven_pauline.htm
http://www.cowdygallery.co.uk/index2.htm

Pauline Solven and her husband Harry (Cowdy) run Cowdy Gallery and for more details about this piece it would be best to contact them directly.

I would guess that this is is a very early piece and likely to be very rare.

Since Pauline was one of the first people to graduate from the RCA after Sam Herman started teaching there, I would consider this a very collectable piece as it probably represents an important date-line in the development of British Studio Glass.

It is possible that its historical value is far in excess of its financial value.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Pauline Solven
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 08:44:30 PM »
Quote from: "chuggy"
SWMBO is She who must be obeyed also known as Joyce.

choking on my laughter Would you believe I thought it was a very important Glass publication or something?  

I bought the 2 large Strombergshytten sommerso vases, the big Mdina axe or fish vase, the lot of Scandi glass that included a Vicke Lindstrand fish, and a large Hadeland Atlantic vase plus 8 other pieces, and finally 4 Murano pieces, so all in all a jolly good day.
Paul

Yup, we both did nicely thank you!

Quote from: "aa"
Since Pauline was one of the first people to graduate from the RCA after Sam Herman started teaching there, I would consider this a very collectable piece as it probably represents an important date-line in the development of British Studio Glass.

It is possible that its historical value is far in excess of its financial value

Well, I do hope that it turns out to be astronomical for Paul's sake!  

:lol:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Pauline Solven
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 08:24:03 AM »
:D :D :D

I was reading this with growing dismay, as I thought I was going to want the piece desperately, but I don't like it at all, thankfully!

I do have a beautiful amethyst pot vase, with 4 bubble features around it in the shape of the yin-yang symbol, coloured with silver oxides, to give irridesence in them. It is signed Pauline Solven, RCA '67. It is really beautiful. I think this is of historical significance myself, and shows considerable skill.
According to my Shire guide on Studio Glass, Pauline Solven was one of the few glassmakers who learned to WORK ALONE.
:shock::shock::shock:
There is a picture of her doing this in the book. :shock:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Pauline Solven
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 08:31:01 AM »
Hi Sue, I'd forgotten about this book and you're right: several excellent pictures of her. Plenty of admiration for someone who can work glass single-handedly :shock:  :P
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pat

• Members
Pauline Solven
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 08:31:53 AM »
I've had another lok at this and it's an abstract portrayal of someome sitting on seat isn't it?
No retreat, No surrender.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand