No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hortensja Bowl Misidentified As Stoelzle  (Read 8004 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Hortensja Bowl Misidentified As Stoelzle
« on: May 10, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »
There is a lot of this glass pattern (as well as Stolle Niemen bowls) online which are identified and sold as  Hermanova Stoelzle. Pamela on presglass-pavillon among others says they are by Hortensja, Poland. Another website says this bowl is in the Hermanova section of Marcus Newhall's CD but it isn't, unless I've missed it, although there are a couple of pieces with similar vertical lines. Mine is 28cm. long,  in uranium glass and was originally hand painted with flowers which very easily came off when I washed it. The spoon and fork came with it and are by Stoelzle part nos. 19253/4. and this initially made me also think the bowl was Stoelzle.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline CharlieBrown

• Members
  • Heart out of glass
    • Poland
    • SEO website audit
Re: Hortensja Bowl Misidentified As Stoelzle
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »
It is possible that this is Hortensja's bowl but as far as I recall they had the patterns engraved not painted but again, I may not know everything. Too bad the glassworks is non-existent anymore.

The history of "Hortensja" goes back to the 19th century. The glassworks was established in the buildings of the former starch mill and candy syrup plant - in 1889 the production of window glass and bottles started in the "Anna" glassworks.

Later, the plant became the property of the Belgian Joint Stock Company under the name "Industrial and Commercial Joint Stock Company of Emil Haebler's Former Enterprises", which also included "Kara" from Piotrków.
Over time, "Hortensja" became an important manufacturer of cylinders for kerosene lamps, window glass, and then blowing glass in the art deco style, among others, vases, vases, confectioneries, salads or carafe.

The glassworks, which in the 1970s employed over 2000 people, did not survive the period of economic transformation - the plant, despite being transformed into a company wholly owned by the State Treasury, ceased to exist in the 1990s.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 08:28:56 AM »
Thanks for the information CharlieBrown. From the identification I've found online I'm sure it is a Hortensja bowl. I think the painting that was on it was added later, here is a picture of a "tumble up" jug and glass I have with similar decoration to show what it was like.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 07:58:23 AM »
Just found this post. I have this design down as Stölzle, based on an oval bowl and cheese dish in the catalogue that seem to be in this pattern, but it's hard to be sure just from the drawings. See page 7 of the catalogue, pattern numbers 18955 and 18948. Same three vertical lines with the middle one being longer, curved lines around the outside, and edge "lip". Would be nice to see these "in the flesh" to see if the curved lines form the same "eye" pattern as your bowl.

I haven't been able to find this pattern in the Hortensja catalogue shown here. Is there another catalogue available somewhere?

Here's a few more examples for reference:

Vase 1, Vase 2, Vase 3, Creamer, Bowl 1, Bowl 2, Plate

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 11:22:56 AM »
The pieces with the arch foot are definitely Stolzle but I think 20thcenturyglass have (in my opinion) got the ID wrong for the bowl 1 and the plate. It looks like bowl 2 has four vertical lines not three, Stolzle may have "borrowed" and adapted the design. Pamela on pressglas-pavillon has them attributed to Hortensja. The Hortensja catalogue you show is from 1970 and probably too late for this design, I don't know if an earlier one is available, I'm always on the lookout!

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 11:28:16 AM »
I think 20thcenturyglass took their ID from the Stolzle pre 1958 catalogue which you mentioned, but I think it's a bit tenuous.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 02:11:08 PM »
The creamer with the arched foot, and the sugar bowl (bowl 1) came together as I recall. They are shown together in the final picture on the creamer page. Bowl 2 has 3 lines not 4, but I think the seam down the middle is creating a bit of an optical illusion. If you look at the second picture, at the pattern on the far side of the bowl, the 3 lines are quite clear.

I'm pretty sure all these are the same design pattern, and Stölzle seems most likely to me, based on the pre 1958 catalogue. I guess it is quite possible Hortensja produced the same design - looking in the 1970 catalogue I see some designs very similar if not identical to other makers, including Brockwitz of Germany and even Boda of Sweden. I trust Pamela's judgement, but it would be interesting to know where the ID for Hortensja came from.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 02:09:02 AM »
The Sklo Union CD pattern numbers 18955/18738 Flower Trough/Vase and 18948 Cheese/Butter Dish certainly look like the same pattern as NevB's Bowl, I am also curious where Pamela's ID came from.
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 10:06:31 AM »
I have got permission from the seller to reproduce these images of a bowl which is on Ebay under "stolzle glass". It shows the Stolzle 18955 bowl and frog, although the size is slightly different, and as you can see doesn't have the "eye" design.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 08:44:17 AM »
There is now a blue bowl on ebay (stolzle glass) with the arched foot and what seems to be the "eye" design ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand