No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pictures of "special" punties  (Read 1258 times)

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
Re: pictures of "special" punties
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 05:00:27 AM »
Hi Kerstin,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your picture appears to show a rack behind the upright 'puntys' in which there are 3 rows of 'puntys' stored rod first with the heads protruding. The heads protruding from the rack appear to be far more interesting in shape than those resting on the floor, especially those on the right of the centre row. Many thanks for sharing the photograph and topic.
Kind regards
Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kerstinfroberg

• Members
  • I'm foreign, please be gentle
    • Sweden
    • the Swedish museum of glass machines
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 08:04:22 AM »
Thank you, Nick, for pointing out the obvious!

I was so fascinated by the foreground that I didn't even look behind it... (I've done that before, and will no doubt do it again)

I also took a new look at my pressed glass, and lo and behold: all of it which has a "foot ring" alos had said foot-ring planed. (and most of the non-ringed (is that a word?) pieces has a faint pontil scar, probavly from a sanded pontil/punty)

Kerstin, who learns something new every week - most of it is in the eye of the beholder

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kerstinfroberg

• Members
  • I'm foreign, please be gentle
    • Sweden
    • the Swedish museum of glass machines
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »
I found a very nice photo on Europeana, showing Fred Taylor at Bagley's glassworks in 1951, using a ring-shaped punty.

As the photo is under copyright, I will just give you the link: https://www.europeana.eu/sv/item/2048087/ProvidedCHO_Wakefield_Council_WAKGMP___P1999_871?q=glass%20press%20mould&utm_source=old-website&utm_medium=button

(unfortunately the link to Wakefield council is dead)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand