No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Zelezny Brod Sklo vase?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Zelezny Brod Sklo vase?
« on: June 05, 2020, 11:32:22 AM »
This vase was identified as by Zelezny Brod Sklo by the person who sold it to me. It was really inexpensive, so I decided to buy it as a research opportunity. It has a date, 1980, and two lines of text inscribed on it. One line appears to be "ZBS". The other is indistinct and is something like "B.ll." or "B.lh", perhaps the artist's name. I know that ZBS was made up of several factories, but not which factories were active in 1980. I also cannot find mention of a glass artist whose name fits the indistinct line of the inscription. The vase, itself, is well executed, but the decoration not so much, which gave, and gives me, pause as most ZBS glass I have seen from this period was pretty sophisticated, though I have not seen much with an applied design. Any opinions on whether this is ZBS, what factory may have made it, which artist could have made it and is the indistinct line of text a signature, welcomed!
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Re: Zelezny Brod Sklo vase?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 07:43:27 AM »
It doesn't resemble ZBS glass. It seems that the seller came upon that name as the nearest thing they could find to the signature, but the signature  could easily mean or be read as something else. I don't think ZBS signed  their glass anyway ( happy to be corrected on this if people know of exceptions). Personally I'd probably try a different avenue on this one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 06:45:44 PM »
Thanks for your comment chasdevlin. That was my original assessment, too, but I received a bit of push back on my conclusion, so thought I would run it by the folks here. I think it is American studio glass. No idea what ZBS stands for but the "S" could be studio, school, etc. The seller was in western Washington State, so I was thinking it might be by a student at the Pilchuck School, or some affiliated school or studio, etc. Too bad they botched the application of the design. It could have been a really nice piece. BTW, some of the artists at ZBS did sign their work and I have a couple of pieces which are signed, but I think they did that while doing personal studio work using ZBS' facilities. Agree, though, I have seen nothing remotely resembling this vase from any of the ZBS factories. Some ZBS factories did make opaque figurines, though i don't know which ones.
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 09:32:24 PM »
did they botch the application of the design?  Your photographs are very hard to see but I'm not sure that is applied enamel decoration. It looks as though it is coloured glass applied on hot glass. So it may have been marvered on - it looks like pelaton glass in some ways -   I can't remember the term for it but if the design was made whilst the glass body was hot then it will be a different kind of difficult.

m

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 11:43:24 PM »
Thanks for your comment. Yes it is colored glass applied on hot glass. If you look at the image in the upper right corner of the top image, the artist made several right angles with lines of green glass and stopped, which IMHO is very awkwardly done. Several are very thin lines, but one is very heavy and continues around the vase, which can be partially seen in the image in the lower right corner of the top image. To me, that is jarring and ruins the flow of the decoration. It looks like the artist did not clearly think about how they were going to apply the decoration and just winged it. Not sure why they did not wrap those lines up more gracefully. The rest is pretty well done. I added another image which may show this better.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 12:15:49 AM »
I think it's beautiful.  The surface is iridescent I think.  It reminds me of paperweights for some reason.

I've been looking through a list of Czech glass makers beginning with B but can't find anything so far. ZBS maybe right.  It may have been a style/fashionable piece for that time perhaps?

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 12:25:20 AM »
Thanks! And thanks for trying to identify it. The surface is more pearlescent, I think. It is a really nice little piece to hold. It is only 4.5" (11.5 cm) high x 4"  (10 cm) widest diameter and weighs 1.5 lbs (680 gm). It is a little chunk.. I don't know what to make of it. Good for throwing at a burglar!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 12:34:26 AM »
oh this kind of thing might have been what I was thinking of:
https://image.invaluable.com/housePhotos/Cooper/45/282845/H0086-L15742054.jpg

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 12:42:30 AM »
Possibly. My gut says no, though. There is not much depth to the neck of the vase and it would be a pretty deep perfume bottle, 4.5" to the inside bottom. I remeasured the total height and it is a bit over 4.75". An applicator would be pretty wobbly, which I have seen before, though. I will have to cogitate on this. No sign of wear to the neck...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand