No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight signed JHS and serial numbered  (Read 2081 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Paperweight signed JHS and serial numbered
« on: June 11, 2020, 11:56:01 PM »
This white swirl paperweight is of average size and one of many. They have engraved initials JHS, apparent date 87 and a serial number. I have seen numbers 299, 338, 498, 746 and 852 (at least). This frequency suggests a local source, although no collector of Australian studio glass I've asked can identify the maker (or corporate branding, if that is what it is) - despite in some cases also owning a copy! Some of these weights also sport a sticker saying 'Gilbert Oxford JHS'. Can anyone help?
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Paperweight signed JHS and serial numbered
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 06:44:28 AM »
Looks like the photos did not upload initially (or rather did so but with no contents). I've put them into external links below. Perhaps a friendly mod can delete the earlier empty links to avoid confusion.  :)

Mod: Images put back in original post
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 08:12:47 AM »
I have 5 paperweights virtually identical to this one - except the colour - by Rob Knottenbelt signed BCG = Brittania Creek Glass his business and where he lived.  I suspect this paperweight was created as a company gift by him but I am puzzled why he did not use his own identifier.  The last time I had contact is at least 10 years ago and he had retired from glass making at that stage.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »
Thanks Ross. I agree with the similarity of appearance. The same suggestion was floated on an Australian glass Facebook group back in 2014. However, that source appeared to be ruled out by the following comment, which seems like information direct from the studio. Can you clarify?

Trevor

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
Frankly I do not remember responding this way - nor can I figure out why I would.  I notice my pwts are dated 1985 to 1991 and only one has ther rising sun stamp.

Ross

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 07:19:49 AM »
Here I go again answering my own query years later (this time with help). The maker is Rob Knottenbelt of Britannia Creek Glass in Wesburn, Victoria, as suggested by Ross. The JHS is a corporate logo, as I thought, and the Gilbert Oxford is a product of that company. These were made as corporate promotional gifts.

JHS is James Hardie Spicer, a division of the James Hardie conglomerate, best known in Australia as a major producer of products containing asbestos through the 1950s, 60s and 70s. The Spicer company was a maker of fancy paper products. Hardies had bought the paper-maker a few years before these paperweights were commissioned and rebranded the company a few years later (I wonder why?). Gilbert Oxford was a new paper product being marketed.

Thanks to Ross for extra help in tracking down Rob Knottenbelt to get confirmation from the source.

Trevor

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 06:59:42 AM »
JHS = James Hardie Spicer. Rob Knottenbelt made a run of 1000 for them as a promotional tool. The only run he ever numbered he told me. The Gilbert Oxford bit he thinks miight have been connected to a paper that Spicers were introducing - but is not sure. The swirl was made using a British firms Lead based enamel that became unavailable soon after, presumanbly because of the danger of Lead fumes from using it. Gave a little info about the stamp as well. The family crest was a Willow tree beside a lake with a rising Sun. He amended the Willow to a pine with 6 branches as he was one of 6.

Ross

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand