No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help id Italian art glass technique and possible maker.  (Read 934 times)

Offline snesbit

• Members
Help id Italian art glass technique and possible maker.
« on: May 26, 2020, 12:15:32 AM »
I picked up this Italian vase today and was curious what technique this is, seems similar to zanfirico but no twisting. 

Rose colored transparent glass with white opaque canes.  4 5/8" high, 3 1/4" at the shoulder. Large circular polished pontil mark (sorry it was tough to capture in the pic).

Any ideas on possible makers.  Thanks in advance for any help at all.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Help id Italian art glass technique and possible maker.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 02:24:19 PM »
Might it be French rather than Italian?  The colour and the large polished pontil mark do not immediately shout Murano (however, my knowledge is limited and the pontil mark may indeed be right).   Clichy and Saint-Louis both used canes (and another Belgian maker iirc) as well.

Do you have a uv blacklight and if so,does it glow orangish salmon colour under the uv light?

Twists Glass Mike Hunter also uses canes however I don't know if the pontil mark fits with their work and am assuming given they are contemporary then they would sign if it was from them:

https://www.theglassgallery.com/artists/116192/twistsglassstudio-?sort=price&order=asc&list=2#.XuOQmdVKjIU

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »
Would expect Twists to be signed, also echo m's thoughts that it does not immediately shout Murano, for the same reasons. Stylistically it looks a bit 'restrained' for Murano too, if that makes any sense.

John 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 05:28:21 PM »
The neck and the shape of it makes me think 1930s for some reason.

I think that colour is unusual. Very interested to know if it glows salmon pink/orange under blacklight.

Nothing showing up on searches for Saint-Louis or Baccarat so far.

This has come up on a search as sold by Dan Ripley auctions:

https://www.marks4antiques.com/apa/Murano-white-and-orange-reticello-4e69d

Listed as Murano and shape wise is very different but has the reticello and the solid line chequerboard effect as well.  Different colour - white reticello and orange chequerboard

m

Offline snesbit

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 12:14:10 PM »
Thank you all for viewing and your input.

I did black light the vase and does not fluoresce.

The hand weight of the piece does seem heavier than Italian pieces with reticello decors I've had in the past.  This one actually doesn't have air traps so I guess it doesn't quite fall into that category.

I did find that a number of contemporary studio glass artists are using this technique (Dirwood).

The base does have some vintage shelf wear so perhaps the inclination for 1930's / 1940's French would be worth further investigating.

Again, thanks for your time and input!

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 02:43:49 AM »
I would not abandon Italian provenance altogether. I had a barbini paperweight whose ribbons had a similar tightness in reticello or lattice mesh texture. I very much like the color. My guess on age is 1950s/60s (but not with conviction :-o )

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 07:00:54 AM »
Very interesting item has come up here. Said to be Stevens and Williams by Frederick Carder and that apparently 'Similar example found in "The glass of Frederick Carder" plate 11c.' according to the listing. 

The latticino looks the same and the colour looks remarkably similar to yours:

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/617316011/fredrick-carter-stevens-and-williams

I have no idea as I don't have that book.  However, on your item the large polished pontil mark and the colour would not lead me to think  Italian as first port of call.  Stevens and Williams did do a large polished pontil mark and also I have a vase in a strange orangey pink a bit like your vase. 
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41369.msg228957.html#msg228957

That latticino I think also appears in the Grover book at plate 61 and 62 used under a cameo decoration (see link below).  That plate 62 is particularly interesting because if the Grover ID is accurate, it would possibly mean the Etsy seller's bowl is Stevens and Williams (not necessarily designed by Frederick Carder though)given it has the same rim shape and the applied lime green rim:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YVbRAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA61&lpg=PA61&dq=stevens+and+williams+latticino&source=bl&ots=bWXv9TJWCr&sig=ACfU3U0P1txQFYJmSblLRBBMH23uN4f4Yw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi3z7yYooPqAhWSonEKHYEtA9MQ6AEwC3oECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=stevens%20and%20williams%20latticino&f=false

Corning museum Stevens and Williams piece here:
https://www.cmog.org/artwork/finger-bowl-and-plate?search=collection%3A8cd14b44735e845f35d326272e29f1f5&page=84

When you put the blacklight on it did the glass have an orangey salmon glow or was it just no colour at all?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand