No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Biedermeier Uranium Vase.  (Read 5073 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Biedermeier Uranium Vase.
« on: July 20, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »
This is a 20cm./8" opaline, uranium vase. I'm now confident it is Czech, in the Biedermeier style and from anywhere around 1850-1880. The enamelling is rather naive with the main picture being, rather oddly, a fallen log and with other motifs of flowers and hearts. It is a solid piece and weighs almost 1kg./2lbs.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Biedermeier Uranium Vase.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 04:27:47 PM »
oooh that's absolutely, fabulously,gorgeous.  You lucky thing!

I think that might be a little bit earlier. 
How did you decide 1850-1880?

m

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 05:06:30 PM »
Thanks flying free, I decided on a date of 1850-80 because although the Biedermeier style ran from about 1815-50 most of the glass vases  I saw were dated a bit later and this one also being uranium glass I thought later too. But there is some debate as to when uranium glass was first produced so it could be earlier. I've added some more photos to show the enamelling better. I bought this just after I started collecting glass and baulked a bit at the £16.50 asking price but I think it was a good buy  ;D.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 05:59:19 PM »
uranium glass was much earlier than 1850.  There are examples of opaline green uranium glass dated to 1830s.

It was a very very good buy. 
I imagine the enamels are better in real life than in photos although they show a bit of wear.

I'd say that was earlier rather than later in your date span.  I think maybe late 1840s -1850s.
It's known as Chrysoprasglas (I think - open to correction but I think so)

m

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 06:44:30 PM »
Yes some of the enamels and gilding are worn but that's to be expected. You're probably right about the date but it's difficult to say exactly. I've seen a blue opaline glass vase online with the very similar enamel attributed to Harrach which is a likely possibility.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »
You need some books and some museum searches (Bohemian glass collections in Czechia, German or Austrian museums online as well as in a Polish collection and in the Budapest museum iirc) to pin the date down :)  A lovely task for you.  The collections are stupendous and reveal some amazing pieces of glass.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 05:50:01 AM »
'Chrysopras, uranium, and iron oxide green glasses from Bohemia, Riesengebirge (1830-1850)':

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-evz3LaPqt1U/TXnQBFCxfqI/AAAAAAAAB_M/wH5oXn0D88s/s1600/100_7524.jpg

Scroll down on their photographs to the title and photograph.
http://czechfoodiesmn.blogspot.com/2011/03/bohemian-glass-at-glasmuseum-passau.html

Glass at the Passau Museum.

From Das Bohmische Glas Band II pp 91, the description underneath a green opaline becher dated c.1840:

translated using google - 'The chrysolite lead glass composition was produced together with some other similar types of glass in the Harrach-Hutte from 1830 to 1840, when attempts were made to add uranium oxide as a color to the batch.'

(Die Chrysolith-Bleiglas-Komposition wurde zusammen mit einigen weiteren ahnlichen Glassorten in der Harrach-Hutte in den Jahren 1830 bis 1840 erzeugt, als man Versuche mit Uran-oxid als farbende Beigabe zum Gemenge anstellte.
)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 07:03:12 AM »
see post above and also:

Here on page 25 two examples of Uranium opaline glass, one yellow,one green - both more opaque than yours - dated c.1840 and one with a green opaline uranium glass overlay very similar to yours also dated c.1840

http://www.glas-forschung.info/pageone/pdf/farbglas.pdf

- Source:
 Walter Spiegl
Farbige und überfangene
Gläser der Biedermeierzeit

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 08:44:34 AM »
Thanks very much for your efforts flying free, I've obviously got some studying to do.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 08:48:18 PM »
I think this is a slightly different green to yours and it would help greatly if you took photos of your vase against a white background in daylight so the colour and the colours of the enamels can be clearly seen :)

However, Dr Fischer has this perfume bottle as from Annathal and dated c 1840-1850 - Chrysopras-Glas

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/dr-fischer/catalogue-id-fischer10018/lot-81da9613-a0dc-4b7a-8f27-a61d00fcafeb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand