No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Biedermeier Uranium Vase.  (Read 5219 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Biedermeier Uranium Vase.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 08:24:44 AM »
Hello flying free, here are some more photos, the colours look right on my computer but they have a habit of changing when I post them ??? Nev.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 08:25:34 AM »
They are the right colour :).

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 09:44:57 AM »
Aah,that's lovely.  Gorgeous colour.  And really beautiful gilding which can be seen properly now.

Thanks.  I'll keep an eye out for anything similar in terms of the enamelling.  It's quite delicate in the way the enameller has spaced it out over the vase.  Pretty.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »
Thanks flying free, if you google "biedermeier glass vase" you should find the blue opaline one I mentioned with a similar appearance, attributed to Harrach but ??

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 10:06:13 AM »
Just came upon the perfume bottle I linked earlier in the thread again.   I think the colour and type of glass and the way the base is cut is the same as your vase so I think the time period is probably good for your vase.  Dr Fischer auctions sold the perfume in 2016 as attributed to Annathal bei Schuttenhofen c. 1840 to 1850.  The perfume also has gilded thin bands on it as well.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/dr-fischer/catalogue-id-fischer10018/lot-81da9613-a0dc-4b7a-8f27-a61d00fcafeb#lotDetails

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 11:16:16 AM »
Thanks flying free, I've looked up the Annathal factory and there's quite lot of their pieces online but I do think the quality of theirs is better than my one. The date for mine of 1840-50 seems ok though.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 01:54:27 PM »
In which way do you mean the 'quality' ?

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 02:35:09 PM »
Everything really, the quality of the glass the gilding and the painted decoration.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 02:45:49 PM »
The quality of the glass is fabulous.  It's Chrysoprasglas - opaline uranium glass made around the start of this new process. 
The way the foot is cut and the panel cutting is spot on and all done by hand/eye.  Biedermeier.

This is a becher attributed to Annathal bei Schuttenhofen enamelled in a similarly 'sparse' style.  If you click on the picture it should enlarge and then click again and it's even more close up so you can see the enamelling:
https://www.lot-tissimo.com/de-de/auction-catalogues/dr-fischer/catalogue-id-fischer10053/lot-c22198e4-9d93-4c69-b8ff-abed00d4b1c8

See also this piece again attributed to Annathal bei Schuttenhofen c.1840 Chrysoprasglas (sold by Dr Fischer in 2015) - you can click onto it and enlarge it to see the enamelling:
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/37698483_sockelbecher-aus-chrysoprasglas

Your piece is nearly 200 years old and will have lost some of the effect of it's gilding and enamelling over the years.  I can see that in some of the photos.
This was a great period of development of glass colour and technique.  For example there are some pieces that are from/ascribed to Annathal bei Schuttenhofen that are in colour combinations not seen from other glass houses; a period where Bohemian glasscutters were finding amazing new ways of cutting designs onto the glass in cameo cut basically to show the layered colour underneath; combining coloured glass in layers at this time was not easy to do - the chemistry between the colours had to be exact to avoid them annealing at different rates and breaking; this is shortly after the time that Neuwelt first found their own 'recipe' for making gold ruby glass; and only a few years after Buquoy developed their Agathin glas. 

It was a most fabulous period for Bohemian glassmakers experimentation of new developments.  And they won many gold medals and awards because they were brilliant at it :)
Your vase fits fine within that especially because it's Chrysoprasglas and also because of the cutting.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 05:51:11 PM »
I've just been reading up and something caught my eye.

In Farbenglas I , Waltraud Neuwirth there is a very early mention of Chrysoprase glass:

page 254 - the information on that page is talking about the reference sources of pieces submitted to various exhibitions.

In the section discussing Exhibition of Bohemian Industrial Products in Prague in 1831 there is the following:

'The Harrach glasses were also listed in the catalogue in detail; among the colour glasses were ....a "little jewelry tray of chrysoprase composition, cut inside (the first product of this composition made into a vessel," "small bottles of ... '

So ... very early evidence of this type of glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand