No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moser style..?, enameled, glass in brass bowl  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Marijan

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Slovenija
Moser style..?, enameled, glass in brass bowl
« on: July 20, 2020, 09:30:04 PM »
Following the kind suggestion of Pamela W.  I am posting few photos of this ruby red, blown glass bowl on this forum in hope that someone may be able and willing to offer some insight.

My initial - after quite some internet search - layman guess was, art nouveau period, beginning of the 20`th century anyway, Bohemia or France , perhaps Austria.

Hand painted enamel, (once gold plated) brass base and handle parts, W 27cm, H 16cm, D 14cm. Unsigned as far as I can see. Found in Slovenia.

Just want to know as much as possible about it. Any info appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Moser style..?, enameled, glass in brass bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 04:07:22 PM »
It's beautiful and a top quality maker. My guess is one of the Bohemian companies

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 07:03:34 PM »
For some reason it reminds me of Fritz Heckert enamelled pieces - Max Rade.

I'm sure someone on here had a piece with a Swan enamelled on. Will have a look and see if I can find the reference.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 07:54:12 PM »
I can't find the swan vase (on blue iridescent iirc) at the moment, but there are a number here to compare the enamelling to.  It's not quite the same and doesn't feel 'right'.  I presume it's of the period though and in a similar style so that might be why it reminded me of Heckert.

On various pages:

https://madforglass.com/index.php/heckert-antique-glass-5

The little flower buds grouped also remind me of Sutterlin enamelling for Heckert,  but again nothing quite the same.

Can we see a photograph of the base please?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 10:49:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen that style of brass surrounds on some good pieces of Kralik.
Which would support the notion of a Bohemian origin. :)

The brass parts would not neccessarily be made by the glassmaker.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »
The swan vase has been found as a picture but the website's not available anymore.
The stylised enamel of the swan isn't the same as this one unfortunately.  It was enamelled by Willy Meitzen for Heckert.
Hope this pic shows:
https://www.pinterest.cl/pin/471892867196419648/

Kralik and various Bohemian makers used metal stands and surrounds so it can be quite difficult to ascribe them.

The enamel design of those little groups of flowers heads/seed heads reminds me of some Fritz Heckert devices.  However, the overall style of the enamelling design and the shading used, is less stylised and more 'natural' looking than that seen on the many Heckert vases on the net - but not all.

Offline Marijan

• Members
    • Slovenija
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 02:40:54 PM »
It's beautiful and a top quality maker. My guess is one of the Bohemian companies

It is breathtaking to see the collections some of you guys have. I have seen the  Pamela`s glass museum  first, now your collection. Wow. Wonderful. That is what I call dedication. Talking just quantity, I can not discus the quality  but I bet it is of the highest qual. standards, you can beet some of the good stamps collectors, hands down.

Thank you for your thoughts. I realise now that learning more than that, about this piece, will be quite a task. Although I did find  another intriguing feature on this (I don`t even know how to call it - bowl, center piece, cup....). It is not completly unmarked. Thanks to flying free request for the base photo, I removed the metal stand from the glass, it was attached lightly, and discovered this under the brass on the base of the bowl. No.6. Or 9 or small spiral, or G...... I than looked the other the other covered edge, the under the top metal rim and there is the same mark. I guess it is internal workshop mark, perhaps to know which handles and base are the pair with the glass, but again, could it be the glass maker, painter.... signature?

Thank you for your ID efforts "flying free". I have a loot of searching to do I guess.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 03:27:42 PM »
Thanks for your new great photographs :)

The swan is fabulous and I love the way the water and ripple is depicted in such a subtle but evocative way.

No additional thoughts at the moment but it looks as though the vase was blown and cut from the rim with a molded base.

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 09:30:22 PM »
I looked around a lot to find something like this attributed to Kralik Heckert or Lötz for sure. I own a red bowl with brass looking metal as well. I found a lot of Kralik and Lötz with metal like this, but not one in this wonderfull red. So if anybody can Show me iriscent red glas with metal feet which is known Kralik or Lötz, I would be very happy. Most of the Kralik Glas I found is green.
The Lötz book I have is full of pattern and colors, but even there, no similar red.

By the was, my Metal is signed, I Must Show you tommorrow , maybe you have an idea.

This vase is wonderful.
Monika

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 11:18:27 PM »
iridescent red glass may be Glasfabrik Elisabeth, Kosten bei Teplitz  - (It think it name-changed and became Pallme Koenig & Habel)
https://www.bohemianglass.org/katalog/vaza-rosa-glatt-mit-nuppen-v-montazi-4273/detail/

See also this thread
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38715.msg214011.html#msg214011

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand