No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moser style..?, enameled, glass in brass bowl  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Marijan

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Slovenija
Re: Moser style..?, enameled, glass in brass bowl
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
I looked around a lot to find something like this attributed to Kralik Heckert or Lötz for sure. I own a red bowl with brass looking metal as well. I found a lot of Kralik and Lötz with metal like this, but not one in this wonderfull red. So if anybody can Show me iriscent red glas with metal feet which is known Kralik or Lötz, I would be very happy. Most of the Kralik Glas I found is green.
The Lötz book I have is full of pattern and colors, but even there, no similar red.

By the was, my Metal is signed, I Must Show you tommorrow , maybe you have an idea.

This vase is wonderful.
Monika

Thanks Monika. Most of the Kralik red glas that I can found on net (included those pieces you posted "flying free"), seems to have some kind of aditional violet  "top layer-mother of pearl" hue. Like it would be treated with some kind of modern optical (on glasses) bluish-glazed anti-reflex layer. I cant describe it better. Perhaps the photos on the net are deceiving but it looks like that to me.
On this swan piece the colour is pure, uniform  "ruby" red.

If it is of any help, I measured the glass with Hacklinger gauge. Bottom/base is around 9mm thick. Bowl thicknesses are raging from 6-5,5 mm at the lower end (nearer to the bottom) toward the 4,5 in the upper edge area.

Perhaps the "easiest" way to ever find a craftsman's that made it is to find similar to identical, enamel work? 

Are this numeric marks, like that golds no.6, something common in the work processes, markings etc, when talking glass production. I wonder why the 6 is marked on top AND bottom edge. Since it is in gold colour I think it is was put on by the one who did enamel work.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 03:05:21 PM »
I think convention is that it would be the person who did the gilding made their mark in gold. The enameller might make a different mark, and not in gold.

The "mother-of-pearl hue" you describe is a layer which is sprayed onto a surface to make it irridescent.
Different metal salts produce different kinds of surface - from slightly matte to very highly shiney.
It is called irridesence. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »
Hi Marijan

I linked to some iridescent red glass because Monika had asked about it a few posts back :)

However, without the iridescence, that colour red is the same or very similar red to your vase.  So I was also thinking perhaps Glasfabrik Elisabeth might be a possible route to explore for your red glass bowl.

Yes finding similar enameling might help in some way... However, it might be the glass was made at one factory and the enamelling was done by a cottage maker i.e. not in the factory.  This often happened.
Also for example glassmakers such as Loetz and Josephinenhutte made the glass for say Heckert who then enamelled it.

So it can be quite difficult to separate out the enameller and the glassmaker.  The glassmaker here would depend on finding the same red, the same shape even if in a different colour and then the same way of making with a cut rim.  Those would be what I'd be searching for to try and find the maker, before looking at the enamelling. 

I was just hoping the enamelling might be distinctive enough to perhaps point in the right direction :)

Offline Marijan

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Slovenija
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 04:59:52 PM »
O good.
It is more than clear that I don`t have a clue what I am talking about, and that I should (and will) just read and try to learn something from you people... and keep looking and reading...
Iridescent.... :-[
Thanks all.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 05:05:53 PM »
 ;) We all started off, knowing nothing. 
And the more questions that get asked, the more we learn.  :)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 05:09:16 PM »
Iridescent is that layer you see on top of the glass. On top of the base red glass.
However, the maker of that glass might have also made plain red glass like yours.
The iridescent process was used quite a lot in the Jugendstil period.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 07:04:41 AM »
I came across a thesis or similar  searching a while back and thought the swan design was very similar to something I saw from Theresienthal if I recall correctly.

I've now come across another dissertation (it might be the one I came upon before) where again, the enamel design for the flowers is very similar to that shown in a Theresienthal design book and the swan design is also shown and very similar to that for Theresienthal .
So I'm wondering if your vase is from Theresienthal :)

Stephan Buse is a member on the board so it might be worth getting in contact with him and asking his opinion?

If you click on the envelope link under the name Theresienthaler for the poster on this link, it should enable you to contact Stephan :)
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,16948.msg113023.html#msg113023

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand