No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance Handkerchief/Posy Vases  (Read 9460 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Chance Handkerchief/Posy Vases
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 09:10:26 PM »
Incidentally, whilst wandering around GB Antiques on Monday with Ray & Peter, I spotted only two handkerchiefs - both small 4 or 5 inches (I forgot to take the tape measure*) priced £8/£9, one a blue/white stripe, the other a yellow/white broad stripe. I did not succumb!!!  :P

Almost certainly 4" – the 5" ones will get a much better price – but probably a little expensive for the yellow one. The blue vases, in comparison and irrespective of pattern, do seem scarcer than the other colours for some reason. Worth checking them out if the price is right.

I did also notice the conclusion of a 4" black psychedelic vase tonight, which realised £36.00! Certainly one of the best prices for these and makes Max's 7" Escher look an absolute bargain!  :shock:  See 7407214462.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2006, 09:07:09 AM »
I did also notice the conclusion of a 4" black psychedelic vase tonight, which realised £36.00! Certainly one of the best prices for these and makes Max's 7" Escher look an absolute bargain!  See 7407214462.

Good God!  :shock:  :shock:  That is one of my favourite designs though, but it does seem excessive for that size.

I think it underlines the need to get hold of perfect examples.  They're quite scarce I think...the tops of the hanky vases are just so darned fragile.   :x
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2006, 09:30:50 AM »
Quote from: "Max"
I did also notice the conclusion of a 4" black psychedelic vase tonight, which realised £36.00! Certainly one of the best prices for these and makes Max's 7" Escher look an absolute bargain!  See 7407214462.

Good God!  :shock:  :shock:  That is one of my favourite designs though, but it does seem excessive for that size.

I imagine more than one person has been looking at my site, perhaps? But these designs do seem to capture people's imagination and I still haven't got one... <wahhhh!> emoticon required :lol:

I think it underlines the need to get hold of perfect examples.  They're quite scarce I think...the tops of the hanky vases are just so darned fragile.   :x

Indeed. The value is badly affected by the slightest dink and unless it's a scarce pattern I won't touch them. Base wear to the transfer is forgiveable to a certain extent I suppose.

Edit: In case anyone's missed it — go back to previous page to see detail photo of 'Lotus' pattern
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2006, 10:55:34 AM »
:D:D:D

Hello, The one described as "chiseled" is the one I was trying to describe as the impression that would be made by knots of worms, I think! I've got a big handkie vase.
(I can't think of them as "posies". I've tried. It won't happen. :oops: )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2006, 11:12:29 AM »
Thanks Sue, thought it was your original posting I was referring to.

Not sure what to call it now: chisel, worm or woodlice! :lol:  But this texture is definitely the least common. What colour is your vase though?
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2006, 11:45:32 AM »

It's dark blue, David. 6.75" (17.4cm)tall, widest measurement is 10"(25.6cm).

Alternatively, it's about three and a bit jif lemons tall, about five and a bit jif lemons wide, or....
 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2006, 11:55:13 AM »
Quote from: "chopin-liszt"

It's dark blue, David. 6.75" (17.4cm)tall, widest measurement is 10"(25.6cm).

Alternatively, it's about three and a bit jif lemons tall, about five and a bit jif lemons wide, or....
 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks! This might have only been made in dark blue as I've yet to see any other colour - but three vases is hardly representative ATM :wink:

Sue, you need to use the later, more universal measuring system of CDs...

1 Posy Vase = 1.42 CD :twisted:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2006, 12:21:35 PM »
:shock::oops::shock:

I was going to use the more up-to-date CD unit, but as I'm from the vinyl generation ("Sir, I have a round, black plastic disc with a hole in the middle. Is this some sort of record?") I was unsure whether to use the height or the width of the CD as standard!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2006, 10:46:41 PM »
I've now posted a new page listing eBay sales of Handkerchief vases throughout May. I will try to do this every month, but can't guarantee this. Whether this becomes useful to anyone I can't say, but it may have the effect of stabilising prices.

Would be interested in any comments as the web page may be a little confusing at first.

There are now 88 with transfer patterns and 36 in 'Antique' coloured glass that I've noted :shock:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 09:13:15 AM »
Drum fingers on desk... :lol: (only joking!)

I've decided that a ggreat name for the x-large Handkerchief vases (that is; 8" or 20cm high) would be:

The Hunky Hanky

:lol:

On a more serious note, I have been trying to track down which patterns these were made in and it would appear only a few.

Silk Screen: Cordon & Bandel-2*
Tinted: All except Cotswold and 'Chiselled'**

* Was this a mis-measurement? They are quite scarce anyway.
** The latter is scarce and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before one in Cotswold turns up.

Please note I have added five more unusual pieces to the Pressed GLass and Fiestaware pages.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand