No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Drawer Knobs Rd 221520 12 Sep 1868 Parcel 2 Edwards Birmingham for show  (Read 965 times)

Offline mikenott

• Members
Acquired these four glass drawer knobs recently. They have a slight pink/mauve tint to the pressed glass and I guess were a cheap form of drawer knob having been moulded with a glass screw section to go into the drawer front. I can recall my grandmother having similar knobs on her Victorian furniture. They each have a minute Class III registration mark  with various levels of crispness. Between them I worked out that it was for 12 September 1868 Parcel 2. There is no registered design on the database with that number, but I found an 2017 conversation on this forum between Paul S and Agincourt17 which mentions 221520:

Paul S. "Regarding 221520 - the original drawing states CLASS III, and shows what appears to be an ornamental draw knob, the stub of which has been given a threaded profile - so presumably you could screw it into a draw front ?? -  I can't imagine it's a decanter related piece.       Again, both the original drawing and the Register lack any text description, but as you'll see when I do get to post this picture, it does look to be a glass draw knob......... "

Agincourt17. " RD 221520, registered 12 September 1868 - Parcel 2 (with registrant given as E Edwards, with address as 49 St. Paul's Square, Birmingham). No description of item given. Class 3: glass."

This fits my knobs exactly.

Hope it fills a gap. Feel free to use images for reference purposes for others.

Michael

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Good find Mike

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Restored quite a few bits of furniture with threaded glass knobs, one was a pine Welsh dresser, also seen them on bedside cabinets and chests of drawers. Never spotted any Rd numbers though, I had assumed the glass knobs were a late Victorian fashion because of the items I found them on. 1868 is quite a bit earlier than I had considered. I have at least one spare knocking around will have to check and compare.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand