No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this uranium vase really Henry Greener?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Is this uranium vase really Henry Greener?
« on: August 29, 2020, 10:50:39 AM »
There are a number of small uranium vases from the 1870 to 1890 period which are unknowns. Only this one has been attributed to Henry Greener pretty much everywhere you look, but on asking various collectors this week, none have been able to prove the attribution - does anyone know if it is solid or just bad info that has been copied around the net?

I have a few of these vase variations and it must be said this one looks like a duller yellow and generally a bit cheaper than the other types...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Is this uranium vase really Henry Greener?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »
As far as I can tell it's Internet Chinese whispers. I have it down as Greener? I've just looked at all my similar vases and I would say the perhaps it has less uranium then the others from its reaction in bright daylight. The quality is not noticeably different to the others though

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »
I've got two yellow and one green one of these and have always accepted them as being Greener. I think the design features and colour are similar to some of their other pieces. It needs one to be found with an RD.No. or trademark, but that seems unlikely.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 07:46:57 AM »
Here are another two which don't tend to get labelled as Greener so often, the one on the right is sometimes punted as Derbyshire, but does not really match up to any known patterns.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 08:48:16 AM »
Here is the green one and yet another without ID.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 10:51:14 PM »
Well it seems this is in the 1874 Sowerby pattern book thanks to Mike posting the Sowerby catalogues today... by way of celebration here is the lesser seen plain flint version

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand