No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: White and ruby cased napkin ring  (Read 2117 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: White and ruby cased napkin ring
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 10:23:43 AM »
This is true.

But two things make me curious:

-  something I read (I think on here on the GMB?) ,  I remember someone commenting that cutting these lenses was not an easy thing to do.  It would have required a skilled cutter. 

- Secondly with regard to the multi layered glass (4 layers? clear interior, layered with white glass, layered with clear glass, layered with red glass? or 3 layer being no clear glass between the red and the white?) would require glass pots with red glass and white glass and then someone skilled in casing red over white over clear wouldn't it?
 Is this something that many glass makers would automatically have to hand?

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2021, 10:39:48 AM »
Or rolled in coloured frit, reheat and repeat until thick enough.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2021, 10:46:05 AM »
I hadn't considered that method John. 
Do you think that is how this layered white and red might have been achieved?

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,69919.msg389452.html#msg389452

I honestly don't know anything near enough about glassmaking to know whether that would enable a smooth enough result (having only ever blown a paperweight rolled in frit and a clear glass bowl and struggled to control both long enough to stop them turning into a badly formed mess   ;D  )

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2021, 10:55:08 AM »
Not sure how you could tell, maybe need a glass makers input for some subtle detail. I reckon rolling in fit would give a consistent result more easily, might be simpler in the long run. It does allow a glassmaker to work with any colour desired without having a multitude of pots on the go.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2021, 11:15:24 AM »
wasn't casing done with the cupping method? Need to go and look that up again.

If rolling in frit was an easier method I think they might have thought of that for example in Bohemian cased glass in the 1830s onwards though? 
I can't think cased glass was made like that.  This kind of multi layered cased glass made as blanks to be cut through I mean.

Casing glass in this multilayered way isn't that easy as far as I understand.  Blanks shatter, the layers of glass need to anneal at a similar rate etc.  I didn't think it was something you could 'just decide to do' . 

Therefore I associate Harrach then Baccarat, Saint Louis, Josephinenhutte and Clichy with this kind of multilayered glass (from 2nd third 19th century onwards). 
Then I think of English cameo glass 1870s to end of 1800s.
And then Carl Schappel early 1900s and Ajka more recently. 
Or perhaps the makers I associate with it are just because it was fashionable at those times, nothing to do with difficulty of process.  Could be.

There are some examples in Charles Hajdamach British Glass 1800-1914  (pages 86 and 87) e.g. of a multi layered decanter from Bacchus c. 1850s (White over red over clear)
Then from Pages 203 onwards there is a large chapter on cameo glass (on cursory glass at examples seems to be white cased over colour)
From reading, it does not appear to have been an easy process.

It's just not something I think was made 'at the drop of a hat'. It seems it was quite difficult to do.

Andy McConnell has identified this decanter as from Osler:
https://scottishantiques.com/F-C-Osler-glass-Birmingham

Interestingly Neuwelt were supplying Osler with glass vases and cased glass from the 1860s:

Source: From Neuwelt to the Whole World, Edited by Jan Mergl - see page 163 and note 251 on page 162

- 'Contacts with the F. & C. Osler Company were not limited to the production of table chandeliers - or even of glass bowls for gas lamps, and ... company.  F. & C. Osler's luxurious company gallery and shop, which opened in 1860 on Oxford Street in London, featured other interior design accessories produced in Neuwelt, including decorative glass. (see note 251)   The ability of the glassworks to produce coloured overlay glass of the highest quality, and the exceptional skill of its craftmen in cutting this glass, was used by the two companies to their mutual advantage, resulting at the end ...'

Note 251 says 'Owen Jones ... .  The painting rendered in intricate detail, clearly depicts, alongside other objects, table chandeliers and vases which can be attributed with some certainty to the production from Neuwelt'.

I've been reading about this recently because I've seen a few pieces identified as Osler that I just could not believe could be from them.  Hence finding this information in the Neuwelt book (I do read the book in fits and starts but use it as a reference book, rather than reading it from start to finish which I now think would be a good idea for me to do!)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2021, 12:32:59 PM »
I wanted to amend my previous post but too late.
Amendments are:

1) 'Casing glass in this multilayered way isn't that easy as far as I understand.'
should read:

'Casing glass in this multilayered (colour over white over colour or clear) way isn't that easy as far as I understand.'

2) 'Andy McConnell has identified this decanter as from Osler:'
should read:

Andy McConnell has identified this decanter (white outer layer over yellow) as from Osler:

3)  Owen Jones Painting of Osler's shop Oxford Street here:
https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/survey-of-london/2015/12/11/oslers-shop-oxford-street/

According to the V&A that painting is dated 1859.  So it could be that Harrach were supplying Osler in the late 1850s.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2021, 12:49:05 PM »
So for example, there is this large candelabra from Osler (c. 1870s)
Source: Corning Museum article

https://www.cmog.org/sites/default/files/images/fig_10_table_lamp.jpg?itok=O0AKpa5N

Example of design for cased chandelier c.1860s from Osler pattern books here:
https://www.cmog.org/sites/default/files/images/fig_04_design_candelabrum.jpg?itok=YomKp1nz

Article on Osler in Corning Museum here:
https://www.cmog.org/article/f-c-osler

Information on glass supplied to Osler in Harrach book From Neuwelt to the Whole World, Edited by Jan Mergl on page 162-163

The Owen Jones coloured picture is in the V&A.  You can click on it here and download it enlarged for personal use.  The details can be seen of the individual vases etc.
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O237956/oslers-gallery-oxford-street-london-watercolour-jones-owen/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2021, 08:05:42 PM »
Neil, I just thought if you've not already seen this you might find it interesting:

Source: A Pictorial Record of the Royal Jubilee Exhibition Manchester 1887 , pp 54
talks about Percival Vickers displaying 'ruby-coloured Glass which when cut revealed a white ground underneath'.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Pictorial_Record_of_the_Royal_Jubile/Hh4UAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=stevens+and+williams+brierley+hill+1887&pg=PA54&printsec=frontcover

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand