No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Death of a BIG piece of SvDa  (Read 2924 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Death of a BIG piece of SvDa
« on: September 06, 2020, 01:19:05 AM »
Been in for my second hip replacement and my ex kindly stayed to look after the dog and my place.
She said she noticed that the bottom of this piece was fairly dirty and so decided to clean it with white vinegar and whatever that stuff that makes it bubble up, grabbed the kettle and put some water from the tap in and poured it in and the whole thing exploded into a thousand pieces. Turned out the water was over 50c.
One of the thousand things that threaten our glass collections.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Death of a BIG piece of SvDa
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 09:40:16 AM »
 :'(
I find it helps to consider the law of averages, and that given we handle a lot of glass and have a lot of it around, the odd disaster is going to happen. It's inevitable.
Disasters can happen, any time, anywhere. Be thankful for the time you had with it and enjoyed it, then put it behind you.
Thanks for sharing, to remind us all to be very careful about sudden temperature changes and the dangers of hot water.
I am sorry for your loss.
I hope the new hip makes a wonderful change for the better. At least the nerve-wracking and horrible hospital bits are over and done now.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 11:43:52 PM »
Hi Sue, Funnily I had been thinking of selling it over the last year. I am looking to focus my collection down to Archimede Seguso for major bits and have the trinket sets/perfume sets for the bits I just love the look of.

The second hip is not doing what it should. The first one was easy as, this one more of an issue. Not a major thing atm as I can't go diving in the tropics so I may as well get over this op.

Doing lots of looking at glass but not a lot of good glass out there.

P.S. sold my house and building a new one in the Southern Highlands 70k's south of Sydney. Plenty happening and not upset by the error.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »
I'm pleased to hear you can be philosophical about the loss. Getting upset doesn't help anybody. Your ex was trying to be kind and helpful.
But very sorry to hear the second hip is not behaving as it should, while also pleased to hear you've got plenty to keep you occupied - building a new house is no small project.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 10:41:28 PM »
Hi Sue, Getting focused on A.S. and have been over the last 3 months. Looking to upgrade some of my glass with some of the more expensive and therefore rarer pieces. So far no joy as I will buy and then decide what to cut.

I suspect I have the largest collection of Archimede Seguso certainly in Australia and maybe the southern hemisphere. There is a collector in Holland who has an amazing collection.

I wonder is there anyone here who collects him?
Archimede tops my list.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
He was never in my price league. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 01:50:12 AM »
Sue, I was just lucky when I started. A local guy was selling a large piece of glass I liked the look of and it turned out to be A.S.
As soon as I started looking for more by him the GFC hit and there was heaps of good glass being sold in the USA and our exchange rate and shipping were very reasonable. over the next 3 years I picked up many pieces of his for what is now pin money.
I am hoping that the collapse in the Western world economy will present me with another opportunity. It ain't here yet!
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 09:54:24 PM »
Hi Ardy,

Keep an eye on AUS ebay. I am in the process of starting to sell my collection (500+ pieces) over the coming years. I have moved into rare plants (better returns) so I need the space and I haven't bought a piece of glass in about 3+ years (since my trip to Japan however long ago that was!). So out it goes! It has been a hard decision. I will only keep around 20 pieces (what I can fit into 1 glass cabinet).

Lots of SVdA & AS pieces from the 30's to 80's.

Cheers!

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 09:02:55 PM »
Thanks Kane, what is your ebay name? Or contact me directly re the AS pieces at bobthomas896 AT yahoo DOT com

Mod: email address spam proofed. Always best to ask folk to click on your Email icon below your Username. Assuming you have set it in your Profile page to allow contact, then you will get an email via the GMB system, to which you can respond appropriately.

Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 04:32:05 AM »
Hi Ardy,

Username is: theartglasshouse

I will email you when I list the good A.S pieces as well. Getting through some English & Scandi now and a few non-essential SVd'A pieces.

Yes, my partner did the same thing the other week in destroying a huge rare Maurizio Albarelli Seguso floor vase...still devastated to this day as I will be unable to replace it! Worst of all...it was a piece I was going to keep!  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand