No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green UV reactive toothpick holder - ID = Imperial Glass Co, USA  (Read 2690 times)

Offline JulesMartineau

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Green UV reactive toothpick holder - ID = Imperial Glass Co, USA
« on: September 29, 2020, 02:38:08 PM »
Hi there,
My name is Julie Martineau, and I am the Museum Coordinator/archivist/curator at the Heritage Museum in Burlington Iowa. We have this gorgeous piece of uranium glass in our collection, and I am hoping to possibly learn more about it?
I know that it is pressed carnival glass, as it has the iridescent sheen that is typical of carnival, and that it is radioactive as it set off a Geiger counter, and fluoresces rather brightly under black light. I believe that it was a toothpick holder? It is about the right size for one. The photo shows it sized against one adult large cotton glove, the kind  that we use when handling artifacts here at the museum.
I am looking for any information as to the age, and possible origin of the glass. Any input is appreciated! My email is (removed - see envelope icon to the left)  if anyone needs to contact me for more information!
Thanks again!
Be well, stay safe.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Help with identifying please
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
 :) Hello and welcome.
About the best resource for pressed glass is organised and run by Pamela Wessendorf and her own museum in Hamburg at this link here
https://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/

You may be gone some time.  ;D

Please don't worry, but I am going to report your post to a moderator to ask them to remove your email address from your post - for your own good, in case of spambots.

I see you have added the envelope icon to your signature.  If anybody needs to contact you privately, they can use that. Your email isn't needed.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline JulesMartineau

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 03:27:20 PM »
Thank you!!!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 04:01:19 PM »
 :) It could be that somebody here recognises your piece, I'm afraid I don't.
But I reckoned as a Museum curator yourself, you'd be interested in Pamela's site for future reference, as well as for now.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »
It's a contemporary (1980s ish) carnival glass,  three in one toothpick holder by Imperial Glass Co

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand