No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pendant lamp shade w/ enamel trail/spot decoration - poss. Czech/Austrian/German  (Read 2480 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
A little out of my standard comfort zone, I bought a (what looks to be) 1st qtr 20th Century pendant lamp shade with a satin finish and hand-painted random trail and spot decoration. Finely ground top rim, and three applied loops (applied after the enamel decor) for the supporting chains.

Came from Germany, but with a bunch of antique lamps that were Austrian, French, etc...

Any help gratefully received.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Possibly related, at least in form, but I've no idea how sound their Kralik attribution is:

https://www.catawiki.com/l/39527445-kralik-glass-plant-hanger-lamp

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I'm watching this, because I'm very curious, but my guts felt it had a Kraliky feel about it. The right sort of surface texture and the spotty canes. :) But I'm a real novice at Kralik!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Not that I can profess to know anything about Kralik, but I've not seen from them (or anyone else, for that matter) this style of decoration that has been (apparently) hand-painted. Kralik, Loetz, etc... all seem to have used applied/marvered glass threads and trails for their 'streifen und flecken' type pieces.

It's a conundrum.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Fritz Heckert maybe?  For some reason they sprung to mind.  The Cypern finish (maybe supplied by Josephinenhutte?)  and the colours and the stylish enamel remind me of Sütterlin.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
re my post above - this example wasn't actually what I was thinking of and what it reminded me of, but here's a lampshade example anyway:
https://www.artsy.net/artwork/ludwig-sutterlin-fritz-heckert-judgenstil-table-lamp-bohemia-germany

edited to add - I was more thinking of this:
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/dr-fischer/catalogue-id-fischer10035/lot-77aa5f7a-8adb-43bd-9636-a8f900be7625#lotDetails

That said, the design also appears quite 'Poschinger-like' to me.
Clear glass jug here for comparison of dots but no trailing
https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/18647601/

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Sadly there's no iridescent Cypern finish - it's just straight-up etched satin.

I did consider Poschinger, but, again, could only find applied glass for this style of decoration.

I'll have a potter about for Heckert designs tomorrow. Thanks!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I don't know if Heckert did make a plain satin glass Nick to be honest.
And actually on close inspection that lamp I linked to appears to have the minutely crazed iridescent finish not plain like yours.
The piece I have and the ones I've seen close up have a crazed minutely crackled iridescent finish suggesting the finish has been created in a different way to that on your lamp (which is really gorgeous btw :) ). 
I think if I recall correctly they are Cypern and it may have been made by Josephinenhutte for them (don't quote me on that, I'd need to look up what I found out again - info is somewhere here on the site though)

So the cypern finish looks very different on close up inspection to my Loetz Olympia satin iridescent finish pieces for example.  They are completely plain with no crackle and where it looks, close up, as though the satin iridescent finish has been 'brushed' on somehow.  Different again to a Murano piece I have where the satin finish looks as though it's been done by dipping in acid or something.

Maybe yours is none of those and by a completely different maker not yet identified  :)  It's certainly similar to the lamp shape you linked to and that's might be a decor that can be matched hopefully?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
If the chains are anything to go by modern, something about the glass looks it too.

John

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
The chains are new - I added them, as it came bare and otherwise a pain in the backside to photograph.

The glass shows some signs of age, especially in the form of minor nibbles to the inner rim where it's been clonked a few times, presumably by a lightbulb suspension.

Also, it's such an awkward-to-hang archaic form of pendant lamp that barely covers a modern bulb. I can't imagine there being much of a market for a new one.

I mean, it could be... but it'd be odd.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand