No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Impressed Mark ID = Dartington Studio  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Smitty

• Members
  • Im no longer as new but still please be gentle
    • scandanvian glass
    • England
Impressed Mark ID = Dartington Studio
« on: October 16, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »
Does anyone recognise this impressed mark on the bottom of a heavy blue glass vase?
Thanks
Fleabite

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Impressed Mark
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »
Dartington Studio. Two blowpipes. :)
Any chance we could see the whole thing?
The Studio didn't last for terribly long. They set out to emulate older styles in a studio manner using the best materials, as were used in the past. Eg. gold to create cranberry and gold foil worked on the surfaces. This resulted in some fabulous pieces, but they were very expensive and didn't sell terribly well, so the studio range of goods was discontinued.

It was around the early '00s it was first set up.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Smitty

• Members
  • Im no longer as new but still please be gentle
    • scandanvian glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 08:51:22 PM »
Thanks Sue for putting me right once again on this one. Attached are a couple images on the vase as requested. I would never has guessed Dartington I seem to have dismissed Dartington since Frank Thrower left.  As for this vase all I can say its heavy and is 14.7cms high.  Do you know who was actually responsible for the work?
Fleabite

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 02:51:09 PM »
 :) I'm afraid I do not know who was responsible.
I got interested in it at the time, because I found some Alchemy pieces in a sale in a local posh department store. I could see the quality and bought them, then tried to find out more.
I was paying attention in the Stuart factory shop in Crieff, which got the new Studio ranges in when they were first made and even had a charger, made to order.
I wasn't really interested in their final range, which was all a bit frilly and cranberry for my tastes.
The earlier bits seemed to have been based on Monart. Alchemy and the one with a bright backgound colourwith a melted-in crizzle pattern in white.

I have not seen a cloudy piece like yours, before.  8) Thank-you very much for the image, you're teaching me. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand