No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone identify huge Stuart bowl pattern designer ?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline allan_666

• Members
Re: Can anyone identify huge Stuart bowl pattern designer ?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 11:53:50 AM »
Nigel here’s the post

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 03:30:47 PM »
Thanks for bumping this Allan.

Given that the mark may well have the scrolled tail coming from the "t" it is more likely that this is pre-war than post. Although I do realise that the mark could well overlap with the one that replaced it there was a longer period of use of it pre-war.

If pre-war, then stylistically the long vertical leaves suggest the designs of Ludwig Kny with their strong similarity to his cut outlined deep mitre leaf/eye forms.

That said there is a bowl by John Luxton that immediately sprang to mind which uses a linked vertical leaf pattern that has concentric cut leaves within (pat no 29850) - see page 18, fig 84 of From Art Deco to Post Modernism, A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass (if you have a copy available!).

My hunch suggest its more likely Kny than Luxton as it's closer to his work. This is not a definitive answer, just trying to work it out from what I see.

Offline allan_666

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »
Thank you Nigel yes I would definitely say it was from around 1930’s . Tons of wear on the base and took me ages to find a partial stamp but just the rt but can’t see the loop and below an e obscured by wear . The top is smooth but underneath it is incredibly deep cut leaves pattern . Weighs a ton over 6KG . And absolutely immaculate like the vase . I don’t collect Stuart but have been collecting and buying and selling glass for over 40 years but never come across really massive exciting Stuart pieces as these. I got three together and will post the other vase soon which I am sure is deco also

Offline allan_666

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 08:00:05 PM »
Thank you Nigel yes I would definitely say it was from around 1930’s . Tons of wear on the base and took me ages to find a partial stamp but just the rt but can’t see the loop and below an e obscured by wear . The top is smooth but underneath it is incredibly deep cut leaves pattern . Weighs a ton over 6KG . And absolutely immaculate like the vase . I don’t collect Stuart but have been collecting and buying and selling glass for over 40 years but never come across really massive exciting Stuart pieces as these. I got three together and will post the other vase soon which I am sure is deco also

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 10:09:59 PM »
Just post it Allan! It would be really good to see it as well.

Got to ask, given your selling credentials, are you going to part with them??  ;) :)

Cheers, Nigel

Offline allan_666

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »
Hi just going to post the 3rd Vase which I’m sure is Stuart.As regards to parting with them yes if the price was tempting enough. What sort of values are we talking about ?

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 01:49:57 PM »
I too looked through two catalogs from 1927 and 1938 I believe - that both used the swirly T signing.  No joy.

I would say that even if you can find a catalog that shows it, the best the catalog will give you is a design number.  Maybe the Stuart Museum can eventually link that to a designer.

Ross

PS.  Have you trid trawling through Replacements Ltd they seem to have design names.
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand