No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this by Paul Ysart?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
Is this by Paul Ysart?
« on: October 28, 2020, 04:03:55 PM »
Hi all,

I bought this weight at auction as a Paul Ysart. I always take auction houses description with a pinch of salt. So I bought it because I liked it. I thought it was likely that it came from the Ysart stables - but not sure which one.

Some may think that the base is unlike Paul Ysart's, but I own another Paul Ysart weight (a signed dragonfly) that has a very similar base. So this weight could definitely be by him.

If it is by Paul Ysart, I think it is quite unusual; I have seen plenty of harlequin weights made exclusively of coloured twists in the Harland period but none from the Monart period (which I think this one is from).

Of course, it could be an Ysart Bros weight.

Anyway I 'd love to hear what people think.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Is this by Paul Ysart?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 06:04:02 PM »
Dimensions please.  ;D
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 06:39:38 PM »
Hi Kev,

OK I forgot  ::)

Diameter - 3 inches
Height - 2 inches

So what do you think?

SophieB

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »
I was hoping it might be a "big one".  ::)

I think it is by Paul.

Although the white ground has plenty of holes, it is consistent with other examples. Also, the spread of the twist canes within the weight is very tidy and, to my sense of beauty, well balanced in the placement of the various colours (even if it was just a pick-up of random canes!).

The finsh of the base is one that I have not seen often, if my memory is working properly. But it is clean and precise. Overall size and proportions are pleasing also. And generally it sits well in comparison to another example illustrated by Colin Mahoney in his PY Masterwroks book.

My only hesitation lies in the fact that I have never managed to gather together enough Ysart coloured twist canes to try an analysis of "possible personal twists" for Paul / Salvador.
KevinH

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 02:52:13 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the delay in replying, too much work... Many thanks for your thought on this.

I have now been able to check Colin Mahoney's book and I agree there is a 'pleasing' family resemblance with the one of the 'layered' scramble weight illustrated there (thanks for pointing this out - I had forgotten about these weights).

With regard to the base - flat polished and a fine ground concave central area -I thought we discussed these in another post before. Do you think the base of my scramble is similar to the ones discussed in the post below?

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,63474.0.html

SophieB

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 06:10:29 PM »
love it and was gonna have a bid on it but decided to spend my money on the missus birthday instead lol, heres my Ysart weight by Vasart with loads of colourful worm canes
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 08:39:40 AM »
Hi Gary,

Love it!! Great weight!!

And I am pleased you decided to treat your missus  ;D...

SophieB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand