No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian mid century decanters/snapsbottle with mini glass as stopper/cork  (Read 1150 times)

Offline JasperSverige

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scandinavian glass
    • Sweden
Hi all,

I have a question I bought 3 decanters(2 maybe snappsbottles) with mini glasses (small shot size) I bought them in Stockholm therefore and also a bit because of the design I think they are Scandinavian I might be wrong Ofcourse.

I have searched about 4 hours today but I am stuck, can not find many examples of decanters/snaps bottles with mini glass as stopper. Any information or ideas on what these are where age indications would be great.

I think the glass is hand blown the 2 small ones are not identical thickness glass and some other things, also there are some bubbles in all three. I have not found any markings, stickers, imprints etc to make identifying easier glass is greyish/Smokey.

I hope someone can tell me a bit more about it. Anyway already thanks for any info :)

Oh the pictures are made before I shall carefully clean of all plastic tape. Also the compression makes it look a bit off.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
Very unusual never saw something like this, but unfortunately no idea who is the maker. With Scandinavia I think you must be wright, but in Germay you find these very clear designs as well in the 70 th. For example Wagenfeld, WMF....

Monika

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline JasperSverige

• Members
    • Scandinavian glass
    • Sweden
Hi thanks for your reply,

Yeah that was my thought as well, never saw this before seen some similar products from
an American producer called Belko but those designs are very different. I hope I find out what they are but anyway love them so will use them with care. Will have a look at the producers you mention

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
I‘ve found some modern examples. Look for spring Kopenhagen double up decanter . So maybe very Danish
Monika

Offline JasperSverige

• Members
    • Scandinavian glass
    • Sweden
I‘ve found some modern examples. Look for spring Kopenhagen double up decanter . So maybe very Danish
Monika

I like the design of those 👍

Offline JasperSverige

• Members
    • Scandinavian glass
    • Sweden
Another evening of searching online and I found an almost identical looking decanter of the bigger one I posted,  which is clear crystal and not Smokey glass. It is produced by a company that seems to target the us market. They claim the factory is 125 years old and in Poland and never produced with led.. can not find a history on the company, unclear if they just copied this product and produced it. Or that they have produced this in the past. Anyway the plot thickens...

https://www.ravenscroftcrystal.com/collections/decanters/products/tradewinds-decanter

It seemed that their name was inspired by:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Ravenscroft

Also found similar products

https://www.vinterior.co/home-decor/kitchenware/glassware/mid-century-smokey-grey-decanter-and-shot-glasses

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mid-century-modern-smokey-grey-glass-409139401

I think the

Offline JasperSverige

• Members
    • Scandinavian glass
    • Sweden
Night 3 of googling and I think I have solved one of my misteries, it seems it is designed by Ernest Gordon I think for åfors (but that I am not sure of neither the date)

http://kulturochkuriosa.se/butik2/glas/afors/servisglas/

The version shown is a different color but for all the rest identical.

Now I hopefully find the other ones as well. Anyway thought I share this

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
I make a bow! Incredible how you found this sides, congratulations.
Monika

Offline JasperSverige

• Members
    • Scandinavian glass
    • Sweden
Page 35,

https://www.bergdala-by.com/glastekniska/nedladdning/aafors-nr-5-u-aar.pdf

Still appreciate any ideas on the small schnapps/snaps like decanters

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
Hello Jasper, did. you already found the maker of the Shot Glass stoppen decanter ? I just stumpeled over the solution. Its Afors Sweden. Do you know the book Fire and sea, from Lesli Pina?  On side 183 you will find the decanter.
Monika

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand