No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thinly blown , footed yellow bowl with white enamel rim .  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thinly blown , footed yellow bowl with white enamel rim .
« on: November 29, 2020, 11:35:15 AM »
Hello , I think this could be Murano and am interested to know the approximate date and possible maker please . It glows orange under uv light which I believe indicates cadmium.  It's 3 inches tall and 5.5 inches at it's widest point . There are three thin bands of white enamel to the rim, foot and bowl . It has a snapped off pontil scar to the base of the bowl . Thanks for looking .
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Thinly blown , footed yellow bowl with white enamel rim .
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 07:11:03 PM »
That's gorgeous.  I think also that it's Murano glass. I love the white enamel bands around it.  Very stylish!

The way the stem is applied is very similar to a bowl I have that someone thought could be Czech but I'm still convinced my bowl was made in Murano.

m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »
Thanks very much M ,

MVM Cappellin made a footed bowl very similar in shape and having the three bands of enamel but the stem is a slightly different shape to mine . It's in the MVM Cappellin glassworks book by Marino Barovier and Carla Sonego . It can be seen on page 101 , middle shelf to the right ( 1927 , Rome exhibition) and on page 539 as a drawing / pattern number 5694 . It's so so close and yet so far ! This yellow one has no signature of course  .
Mike

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 09:42:29 AM »
I think you are on the right track Mike, as far as I could tell these two are Murano circa 20/30s and have that little disc added between stem and foot.

John

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 12:49:36 PM »
Thanks John, I see what you mean about the disc at the join of the foot . It makes a very neat join !  I had a look through the book and couldn't find your examples but they have something very similar to your pair of vases with the same join and shape of foot . The bowl is more trumpet shaped rather than a straight cone like your examples. 
The different Murano firms copied each others designs with subtle differences , that's the problem  :)
Mike

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »
They are drinking glasses rather than vases, I had a bunch of them in different sizes. On Murano it is not so much a dynamic of copying each other, it is much more that they shared (and still do) premises/furnaces and glass makers. The idea that there are distinct entities making glass is not how it has been, glass making teams are often made up of people who could work for several companies as and when the demand requires. There is a natural propagation of ideas, techniques and designs as a result.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 11:50:24 AM »
Thanks John , that's good to know that they shared ideas in that way .

They were sensitive to other firms copying their designs though. In the book mentioned above they quote a letter from Cappellin ( written in 1954 to Agnoldomenico Pica ) , about his struggle at the beginning ,   where he says ...." it was the Milan shop  ( the Piazzetta ) that had the courage , the daring to show the new production of 'forms and colours ' . There were those then who looked at us , in fact who appreciated us . And this was our ambition : every Saturday to exhibit the production of the week in the windows of the Piazzetta . Such was our joy and our love that we did not notice that indiscreet eyes - allow me to say it - thieves , passed , saw , copied . It was known now that the 'Cappellin-Venini' was successful . Following this the first participation in Monza (1923) with a corner all to ourselves .It was a revelation.  "
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand