No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "English" Duck salt  (Read 880 times)

Offline RosyHoN590

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Pressed glass hen on nest
    • England
"English" Duck salt
« on: December 02, 2020, 05:02:13 PM »
Hi, please can anyone here give any clues to identifying the maker of this little milk glass duck with eggs covered salt please?  Purchased in the UK - it definitely has some age to it and the details on the moulding are amazing.  Nobody in my online HoN group knows the maker, but the only clues (an old sale catalogue and a magazine article in the USA) refer to it as the "English duck".  The dish is 10 cm / 4"  and any clues would be appreciated!  Thank you, Rosy 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: "English" Duck salt
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 12:51:04 PM »
Hello, have a good look and feel around inside and out to see if it's got a Registered Design Lozenge or Mark which can be very helpful. I can't find the design but it is probably mid/late Victorian and may not be English. If you have access to an Ultra Violet light it might glow green indicating Uranium glass.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 04:21:23 PM »
Hi and welcome :)
If you have spare time, then a search through this website showing different countries might bring something up. There are covered salts as well.  I had a quick shufty through the U.K. ones that are shown, but couldn't spot yours. http://opensalts.us/References/Catalogs/catalogs-England.html  Its always a useful website to bookmark anyway.
Anne E.B

Offline RosyHoN590

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Pressed glass hen on nest
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 12:03:03 AM »
Hello thank you both - Nev and Anne,

Sadly, there is no maker lozenge (no mark at all).  For that period Nev does that suggest to you that it's not likely to be by an English maker?   if it was to be English, the only thing it reminds me of a tiny tiny bit is the Henry Greener cow.  something in the detail.  But I can't see where you can handily find Greener designs?  I don't think it is Von Streit, but it does remind me a bit with the flared rim so I'm wondering if German is more likely.

And Anne many thanks I will have a trawl through these (I have seen them before but forget about them a bit as my usual go to for catalogues first is glas-musterbuch, also, I am usually looking for hens not ducks!). 

ps .....Also, it doesn't glow which is a shame...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 09:34:10 AM »
https://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/thumbnails.php?album=1031&page=1    . This link shows some Greener designs. Not all pieces of the time had RD lozenges so there's a good chance it could still be English. I did think it might be French, someone like Portieux/Vallerysthal, but it's just a guess.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand