No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: JOBLING BEAR FIGURINE Rd.799634  (Read 1071 times)

Offline JOBLINGLASS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • BURTLES TATE AND JOBLING GLASS
    • UNITED KINGDOM
JOBLING BEAR FIGURINE Rd.799634
« on: December 04, 2020, 02:47:01 PM »
I have recently acquired a Jobling Bear figurine which is in perfect condition
I would have liked it in Opalique but have never come across the chance to purchase one.
The one I have acquired is in some form of clear glass but it is tinted.Is this what is called "Moonshine" glass.
If anyone has knowledge of this I would be most interested and does anybody have information about the full range of coloured glass that was used by Jobling for this figurine.
I would be very interested to see exampls of this Bear figurine in other colours that Jobling produced.
Many thanks,
William

Offline JOBLINGLASS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • BURTLES TATE AND JOBLING GLASS
    • UNITED KINGDOM
Re: JOBLING BEAR FIGURINE Rd.799634
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 06:52:28 PM »
I should have asked if the glass colour could be the pearl "Moonstone Opal" and not "Moonshine"
William

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 11:33:46 PM »
Hi William, no this is just clear glass. Moonstone Opal is as shown in the vase in this other topic http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,64577.0.html. He's a lovely bear! I'm envious.   :D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:48:16 AM »
Yes, as Anne says, this appears to be just plain flint rather than moonstone opal. As to the available colours, certainly the bear was produced in clear flint (with or without frosting), opalique, and amber. I have also seen a number of black (jet) examples, as well as two which I believe were in moonstone opal. I suspect this example shown in Collectors' Weekly is either a variant of moonstone opal or is regular moonstone opal that has sun purpled a little (hence the violet tint): https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/212326-art-deco-jobling-bear-paper-weight-sunde?in=1268-activity

Interestingly yours seems to have yellowed. This was apparently a problem with Sowerby glass from the early post war era when they had moved away from using manganese as a decolourant. I wonder if Jobling did the same, or if this supports the theory expressed elsewhere that the mould for this pattern did end up at Sowerby? Certainly Jobling flint glass from the mid thirties still used manganese and can purple (rather than yellow) if left in the sun for a long time.

Here's an early example of the bear (engraved Regn. Appld. For) in flint with frosting and polished highlights: https://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-8831

Edited to add: Here's Adam Dodd's explanation of yellowing Sowerby glass due to the use of selenium rather than manganese as a decolourant  https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,515.msg2076.html#msg2076

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand