No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Massive Harrach Pedestal Vase - Etruscan  (Read 4535 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Massive Harrach Pedestal Vase - Etruscan
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 10:43:28 PM »
Haven't checked the book but Richardson did do some 'Etruscan' pieces however I'm sure this is a Harrach piece.

m

Offline antonizz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Netherlands
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 11:42:25 PM »
From what I briefly remember is that both richardson and the russian versions had more of meander patterns (greek key pattern).
And the russian were a little less colorful. The bohemian and Richardson's used more colors I think.

Offline antonizz

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »
Maybe I got it mixed up. Or I'm just talking nonsense here :p

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 02:06:09 AM »
Not at all :) 
I have been researching these pieces for a good few years now and in all honesty it is very difficult to determine them.  I have not managed to id 3 out of the 4 of mine securely.  But I think if you sent photographs of yours to the Harrach museum they would be able to confirm the id.

m

Offline antonizz

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »
Yes, that's a good idea. I'll try that next week. If I hear something I'll let you know.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 10:19:49 AM »

Your man here
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=70300.0;attach=239005;image
is the same as one in the From Neuwelt to the Whole World book pp187 top right hand pic although that one is all browns and reds costume, no blue.
The caption says
quote - 'Drawings of transfer print decoration - matching themes of romische Figuren were often applied to other forms from the period c.1865 (AH 288).'

m

The picture in the book is a small painting/drawing of the transfers they were using. It looks like the one on this Harrach vase:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/etruscan-figures-opal-decorated-12-461380715

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »
It looks like the one on this Harrach vase:
Not that the vase in the link isn’t Harrach but the seller describes it as “Possibly British Glass by Richardson, circa 1850's /1860's. Or maybe Bohemian glass”

Is the sellers vase definitely Harrach?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 11:12:14 AM »
yes I'm sure it is.

Antonizz, the figure on your vase pedestal here

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=70300.0;attach=238991;image

appears on  a vase in the Harrach Book  From Neuwelt to the Whole World page 187, Plate 222 .  It is an identical figure.
 The vase is dated 1864. 
'form: prod.no. 195/14 1/2'  (btw, that 1/2 reads as a half fraction so it may be referring to the size of that vase)
'Museum of Glass Harrachov inv. no 3737'

Question:  is the rim on your vase cut and polished? 

Offline antonizz

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 08:47:33 PM »
Thank you for your response. Do you perhaps have a picture of the vase you talk about in the book? Or aren't you allowed to publish that here?

About the rim:
What do you mean with it being "cut"? As in hand/wheel cut instead of molded?
I'm not home right now but Im sure its polished. It doesn''t really have rough edges or anything.
I'm sorry it might seems that I know quite a lot about glass itself, but I really don't.

The picture of the link you placed, which is attributed to Richardson..
I'm pretty sure you're right about it being a Harrach piece.

I came across a vase earlier this week. And I kind of ran out of budget, otherwise I perhaps would have bought it myself. This is an example which I would not attribute to Harrach. Could be Richardson or Russian. But the quality isn't really impressing. 

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Grand-vase-en-opaline-blanche-decor-a-lAntique-Circa-1890/193826744888

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand